Scarpetta's Spaghetti With Tomato And Basil

I have wanted to try this ever since I saw it was Ted Allen's "best thing I ever ate."  (I think "sauced" but not sure)  I love pasta and tomato sauce; to me it is the ultimate comfort food.  This is the best recipe for it.  I have made this once before.  I used only canned  San Marzano tomatoes then.  This time I used the 8 fresh and 1/4 can of the San Marzano tomatoes.  I am not going to kid you; the sauce does require a bit of work, but it isn't a daunting as it first appears.  Seeding the tomatoes sucks! The recipe was a little confusing, since it is for one, but sauce for 4? I think.  I tried to rewrite it so it was less confusing, but I made it worse.  All I did was add the per person notes.  It is wort trying I promise you! It is so worth it!  This is coming from someone who refers to Ragu as "my mamma's sauce." (meaning I am ok with the simple jarred sauce)  Growing up, my family LOVED spaghetti.  My dad even had a spaghetti eating shirt that was red so he wouldn't get stains on it.  In college, it was my go to hungover breakfast.  And while jarred sauce is by no means fine cuisine, it has a nostalgia element that makes it still something I enjoy.  That being said, this recipe kicks the crap out out of my childhood spaghetti and takes names. It is totally divine!  We had our obligatory salad with it but it was nothing compared to the star.  Oh and totally off subject, but I so need to share, I opened my words with friends game with the hubby tonight with a 75 pointer, biznaga!!!!  It is a cactus.  LOL!  he may win in the end but I had my moment;)
 Scarpetta's Spaghetti With Tomato And Basil
3    ounces spaghetti  high-quality dried or fresh (per person)
Salt
6    ounces tomato sauce (recipe follows)(per person)

4    large leaves of basil
1/2 T  butter,unsalted (per person)
2 T  freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano(per person)
1 T  extra virgin olive oil
8    ripe plum tomatoes
1/4    of a can San Marzano tomatoes
2 T  extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of red chili flakes
Pinch of kosher salt
1/4 c  extra virgin olive oil
6 ea garlic,whole
2    stems of basil,leaves on
Pinch of red chili flakes
1.. Place a large pot of water on the stove. Heavily season with salt,
until it tastes as salty as a broth would. Bring to a boil.
2. Roll basil leaves into a cylinder and thinly cut lengthwise into a
chiffonade. Set aside.
3. Cook the spaghetti in the water and remove when it is just shy of al
dente depending on the pasta, 3 minutes for fresh, 10 minutes for dried.
4. While the pasta is cooking, place the sauce into a saute pan and heat
slowly. Allow the sauce to reduce slightly. Add the pasta to the saute
pan along with a bit of pasta water, to add starch and seasoning.
5. Add the pasta to the sauce, and allow to finish cooking, over medium
high heat. The sauce should coat the pasta and look cohesive. When you
shake the pan, the sauce and pasta should move together.
6. Remove from the heat and add the basil, cheese, butter, and extra
virgin olive oil. Toss until well incorporated.
7. Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
Tomato Sauce: yields 2 cups
10. Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Prepare an
ice bath by placing ice in a bowl and filling with cold water. Core
tomatoes with a paring knife, and discard cores. Score the bottom of
each tomato with an "X." When water has come to a boil, place tomatoes
in water and leave for 15 seconds, until skin begins to split away.
Transfer to ice bath. When cool, peel with paring knife.
11. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Remove seeds with your thumb, and
set seeded tomatoes aside. Reserve seeds and excess juices. If using
canned tomatoes, seed in the same way.
12. In a new pot, place 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over
medium heat. When the oil is hot, carefully transfer tomatoes to the
pot.   Add a pinch of salt and chili flakes.
13. Allow the tomatoes to cook for a few minutes until they begin to
soften, then smash them with a potato masher. If the consistency is
particularly thick, strain excess tomato juices for seeds and add to
pot.   Allow tomatoes to cook 30 to 45 minutes over medium heat,
smashing and stirring occasionally.
14. While the tomatoes are cooking, prepare the basil-garlic oil. Take
a small saucepan and place the remaining 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive
oil in the pan. Add garlic cloves, basil, and chili flakes. Slowly heat
to allow the flavors to transfer to the oil. When the garlic is lightly
browned, remove from the heat. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Strain the
oil and combine with the tomato mixture.
15. Remove the sauce from the heat and adjust the seasoning with
additional salt, as needed.
There were several places I found the recipe online but I got it from:  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/scarpettas-
spaghetti-with-tomato-and-basil-scott-conant.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce