Chicken Jalousie

Well I was the person who thought the least of the dish, but I didn't dislike it.  I think I would have liked more veggies and less chicken.  I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but only because I wanted to use what I had on hand.  I used beef stock because I had an open carton in the refrigerator.  I was short a 1/4 cup on the chicken, but I was using the chicken from the chipotle lime chicken tacos. I also cooked it on parchment paper for clean up purposes.  Other than that, I didn't deviate from the recipe.  I think it is a brilliant idea for leftovers. It was fairly simple.  Not as fast as it could be, but if I had the puff pastry thawing in the fridge overnight and only used things I had leftover, it would have gone a lot faster.  I used the edges I trimmed off. I baked them and then drizzled melted butter over them and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar.  Not the best dessert, but it would have been wasted and we don't always have dessert.

Chicken Jalousie
2 T  butter
2    leeks,white and pale green part only, cleaned
2 t  all-purpose flour,plus more for rolling
1/2 c  chicken stock
2 1/2 c  chopped boneless cooked chicken
1 t  chopped thyme
1 t  fresh lemon juice
 salt and freshly ground black pepper
 one 17.3oz (484g) box thawed frozen puff pastry
1  large egg,beaten
[Note: Good with roasted vegetables such as zucchini, and eggplant.
]
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the leeks and cook
for 5 minutes until tender. Sprinkle in the flour and stir. Stir in the
stock and bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from the heat and
stir in the chicken, thyme, and lemon juice. Season well with salt and
pepper.  Cover with plastic wrap and let cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C). Dampen a large baking sheet. Roll
out one sheet of the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Trim
into a 10  6in (30  15cm) rectangle. Place the pastry on the baking
sheet. Roll out and trim the remaining pastry to 10  7in (30  18cm)
rectangle. Lightly dust it with flour, then fold in half lengthwise.
Make cuts ½ in (1cm) apart along the folded edge to within 1in (2.5cm)
of the outer edge.
3. Spoon evenly over the puff pastry base, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border.
Dampen the edges of the pastry with water. Place the second piece of
pastry on top and press the edges together to seal; trim off the excess.
Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden-brown and
crisp. Cool briefly, then slice and serve hot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce