Chipotle-Lime Chicken Tacos

Well tonight we went with Mexican again.  It's funny, until I was pregnant with my son, I really didn't care for Mexican food.  Granted, I wasn't interested in food then.  I would eat Mexican when I had to, but I never wanted it.  That all changed with my first pregnancy when it was all I wanted.  Subsequently it became one of my favorite cuisines.  My husband was so pleased.  It is one of his favorite types to food too.  Not surprisingly, it is one of my son's as well.  Couple that with the fact that it is relatively quick to prepare, these dishes lend themselves to leftovers as well, which is always a big plus, and you have a staple in our house.  I found the original recipe a bit plain.  Not that there weren't good flavors, but I wanted something else on my taco besides chicken and crema. I think of tacos as one dish meals and I want lots of veggies on them.  I added lettuce, last night leftover avocado, and cilantro.  Much better.  I think I would have liked onions too, but I wasn't chopping them.  This first picture is of my way; the picture down by the recipe is the original.

Chipotle-Lime Chicken TacosYield: 4 Servings

      1    bone-in,skin-on whole chicken, rinsed and dried
           Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
      1    lime,zested and juiced (lime halves reserved)
    1/4 c  water
      1 c  crema
      2    chipotle chilies in adobo sauce,finely minced into a paste
      8    (6-inch) corn tortillas warmed
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Generously season the chicken, on the outside and inside of the cavity,
with salt and pepper, to taste. With your fingers, put some of the lime
zest under the skin of the chicken. Sprinkle the lime juice over the
chicken and put the halves into the cavity. Put the chicken in a
roasting pan, breast side up, and add 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of
the pan. Roast the chicken until the internal temperature registers 165
degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, when inserted in the thickest
part of the thigh.
Remove the chicken from the oven to a carving board, let sit until cool
enough to handle.
In a small bowl, combine the crema, minced chipotles, remaining lime
zest, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Once the chicken has cooled, pull the meat from bones and shred.
Put some of the shredded chicken on each tortilla, top with chipotle
crema and garnish with some zest from the remaining lime. Serve with
lime wedges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce