The Night of Too Many Pizzas

Well when I should have been browsing my recipe database, my darling husband was playing Icewind Dale on the computer.  As a result, I was totally unprepared when I was shopping during the boy's karate class.  As I wandered aimlessly around the grocery, I saw pizza dough in the deli case. Well we all love pizza and I was worn out and wanted to do nothing, and, as before, the "easy" pizza meal was more work than so many other dishes.  Why this time you ask?  Well, I couldn't decide on the type of pizza, so I decide on four kinds.  I like White Pizza. so that will be one.  We had a Buffalo chicken pizza at the Mellow Mushroom when we were on vacation, and my husband really liked it so I thought we would do that too.  Well the boy likes pepperoni pizza, so what the heck we will have a third.  OH, wait, I wanted to try to make that pizza I saw on the Best Thing I Ever Ate, Potato Pizza.  OK so we are having four kinds of pizza tonight.  That's OK, we like pizza leftover and my husband is quick at rolling the dough. (I am terribly slow)  I am in the store, on my phone, looking up recipes. (I LOVE my iPhone:)  None of the recipes sounded quite right for what I was thinking.  I decide to wing it.  (a bit, I mean I did have some direction from the recipes I wasn't planning on following)
     Well the white pizza, I wanted to base that on a my first slice of NYC pizza.  I was in the city with my ninth grade class and we ate lunch at Ray's Pizza.  (the real one? I have no idea.  If you held a gun on me and ask me to guess, I would say about 39th and Lexington.  Even if that is right, I still don't know if that is the 'real' one)  I ordered a white pizza with spinach.  It was heaven!  That was 1987 (OMG!) , and here I am trying to remember what all went into it.  It was good pizza, as good or near to what I ate all those years ago?  I can't say for sure. I am working on the impression I still have of that amazing meal.  The buffalo chicken was good too.  I loved the potato one the best, but my husband liked the white one the most.  We kind of did it on the fly so some of the measurements are approximations.

For All the Pizzas:

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees with the pizza stone in it.  Roll out the dough to the same shape and size as your stone.  Remove the stone to a heat safe surface. Place the dough on to the hot stone, add your sauce cheese and toppings.  Put back in to the oven for 5-7 minutes. (or until done)

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

Make your wing sauce. (mine was equal parts of Crystal and unsalted butter with some granulated garlic)  Mix your wing sauce with some bleu cheese dressing in about a 2:1 ration (2 being the wing sauce)  Spread that those blended sauces in a very thin layer as your pizza sauce.  Sprinkle on a layer of mozzarella cheese.  Top with some cooked, shredded chicken that has been lightly dressed in the wing sauce.  Sprinkle some thinly sliced scallions on top. Bake according to instructions above.
Oh and I almost forgot, like I did when making the pizza, drizzle the top with the  bleu cheese  dressing mixture and the wing mixture.


 Before the drizzling on the left, after we cut it and started eating it and remembered to drizzle on the right.



White Spinach Pizza

OK I totally cheated with the spinach.  I bought a frozen box of creamed spinach. Spread the spinach (cooked) in a fairly thin layer over the dough on the pizza stone.  Top with a layer of mozzarella.  Dot the top with minced garlic.  Bake according to instructions above.


Potato Pizza

Thinly slice a baking potato on a mandolin.  (as thin as you can)  Keep them in lightly salted water until time to use them.  On the stove in a small pan, heat a mashed garlic clove and the leaves off a small sprig of rosemary, on medium low heat for about 15 minutes.  Once the dough is on the stone, brush with the rosemary/garlic oil.  Place a single layer of the potatoes that have been patted dry.  Top with a thin layer of grated Parmesan.  Bake according to instructions above.  When the pizza comes our, sprinkle with freshly chopped chives, and drizzle with white truffle oil and warmed heavy cream.

Pepperoni Pizza

Make your pizza sauce.  I had the sauce and liquid from a can of whole tomatoes that I reduced a bit but you can used canned tomato sauce.  To that I add a ton of oregano and some basil, a pinch of red pepper flakes and some garlic.  Simmer over low heat until the flavors meld.  The sauce should be pretty potent since you only need a thin layer of it.  Top with a layer of mozzarella and pepperoni and cook according to instructions above.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce