NY Strip Steak With Anchovy Garlic Butter, "fauxsotto" and Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette

Well, last soccer season, it was tradition to have a grilled steak salad after the weekly practice.  I am trying to get through the MANY recipes I have in the To Try folder, so I am breaking tradition. (for now)  I did however still broil a steak, but tonight I decided to top it with a compound butter I have been wanting to try.  Also I had leftover rice I wanted to use, so I made my 'fauxsotto'.  It is my silly name for an easy way to use leftover plain white rice.  I used the leftover butter lettuce from last night too; I made a salad of the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and scallions.  I dressed it with a champagne vinaigrette I made.  Because I am trying to eliminate packaged foods, I am almost exclusively making my own salad dressings.  To do this I have about 7 kinds of vinegar. You can make a great of variety of dressings and they are quite simple.  My favorite is the champagne vinegar.  This one is pretty tasty but it is tart and a little goes a long way. The star of the dinner was the anchovy garlic butter.  I added a bit of salt even though the recipe didn't call for it.  DON'T!  It was delicious but a bit salty. On the bright side, being a bit too salty, it prevented us from eating too much of it.  Don't let the 'anchovy' in the title put you off.  It isn't fishy, just amazing.  Compound butters are something that everyone should know how to make and have a few in their freezer.  The application of each one, can turn the same piece of meat in to something different.  There are pictures of the making of this butter in the 'Tips' post. It is interesting for me to note, that tonight was the first night that the boy lost to the husband in the ingredient guessing game:)

Anchovy Garlic Butter
2    garlic cloves
1/2    (1/4 cup) unsalted butter softened
1 T  anchovy paste
1 1/2 t  fresh lemon juice
1/4 t  black pepper
2 T  finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    
Note: The garlicky spread that tops this steak is also excellent on
fish, chicken, and pasta. Make extra and freeze it for a super finish
for future...  ]
Preparation Mince garlic and mash to a paste with a pinch of salt using
a large heavy knife. Mash together butter, anchovy paste, lemon juice,
garlic paste, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until combined well. Stir in
parsley.

Fauxsotto
2 c  Leftover Rice,Cooked
3/4 c  Heavy Cream
2    Scallion,Chopped
1/4 c  Parmesan,Shredded Or Grated
Heat cream and scallions and garlic in a pan. Add leftover rice and
stir.  Cover and cook on low until heated and cream absorbed. (about
3/4 cup cream to two cups rice to start). Finish with parm and adjust
salt n pepper

Champagne Vinaigrette
1    shallot,peeled and quartered
1/4 c  champagne vinegar or white-wine vinegar
1/4 c  extra-virgin olive oil
1 T  Dijon mustard
3/4 t  salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine shallot, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a blender.
Puree until smooth

Oh and it is in the grilled steak salad recipe, but I cook a 1", room temperature steak,  under a well preheated broiler for 3-4 minutes a side for medium rare.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce