Breakfast for Dinner (or Baked Eggs En Cocotte With Basil)

Well in the preparation for tomorrow night's Thanksgiving dinner I found it to be a bit too late to be starting the dinner I had planned, so I went with this 'breakfast' dish.  I had been wanting to try it for many reasons.  I think a baked egg sounds like the perfect poach and they have that cute little shape.  I did not serve them right away because I had some bacon I needed to use and was cooking it.  As a result the yolks were not as runny as I would have liked them but it was still really delicious.  I put the eggs on the buttered toast with the bacon.  I also made a bacon gravy for my mom. (who will be here tomorrow) for one of her breakfasts while she is here.  I drizzled a bit of it over the eggs as well. (so did not need it or the bacon for that matter but the bacon was good)  I also deviated from the recipe in that I added  chives as well as basil at the end.   I think chives and eggs are just a stellar combo.  The boy delcared this a favorite!
Baked Eggs En Cocotte With Basil
 8 t  extra-virgin olive oil
 8    large eggs
 4 T  unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 c  chopped basil
Buttered toasted whole wheat or white bread
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Coat the bottoms and sides of eight 4-
ounce ramekins with 1 teaspoon of olive oil each. Arrange the ramekins
around the sides of a roasting pan and crack 1 egg into each one. Top
each egg with 1/2 teaspoon of butter and season with salt and pepper.
Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the
sides of the ramekins.
2. Bake the eggs in the oven for about 15 minutes, turning the pan
halfway through cooking, until the yolks are runny and the whites are
just firm. Garnish the eggs with the chopped basil and serve right away
with buttered toast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce