Tomato Sauce With Shrimp And Feta

Well I had some feta left from the grilled Greek chicken salad, and I remembered this recipe that my MIL had made for us years ago, so I figured I would try to replicate it. I remember it well even though it was at least 11 years ago.  This was before I was interested in cooking and was pretty limited in what I was willing to eat.  I didn't like shrimp or feta. (or so I thought) and was thinking how am I going to handle this meal with good grace.  Then she says, its a pasta sauce but I'm serving it over rice.  (not a fan of rice either but I loved pasta.  oh no!)  Turned out that I loved it.  However I had never made it.   I'm pretty sure she got it out of this cool little book of pasta sauces she got for us called Sauces for Pasta.  I haven't found a bad one in there yet.  So I looked through it and found what I believe was it. I did put it over rice again, and I used canned chopped tomatoes instead of fresh for two reasons.  The tomatoes weren't looking very good and I didn't want to take the extra time to blanch and peel and seed tomatoes.  It turned out pretty good! Oh and of course there was a salad:)
(click the title to see the book if you are interested)
Tomato Sauce With Shrimp And Feta
4 Servings
 4 T  Olive Oil
1 T  Garlic,Minced
2 c  Tomatoes,Peeled,seeded And Chopped
1/3 c  White Wine
1/4 c  Basil,Fresh And Chopped
1 t  Oregano,Dried
Salt And Pepper,To Taste
30    Shrimp,Medium
1/8 t  Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 lb Feta Cheese,Crumbled
[Note: This is a pasta sauce, but is can be served over rice or with
baguette for sopping up the sauce.]
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Sauté
the garlic for about a minute.  Add the tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes.
Add the wine, basil, oregano salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, for ten minutes breaking up the chunks
of tomato. (I used a potato masher to get them really good)  In a
medium sized sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil over high heat.
Cook shrimp for 1-2 minutes a side or until done.  Add the feta to
the sauce.  (at this point I added the rice and then topped with the
cheese and broiled it a minute or two)  mix in the shrimp and top with
minced chives.


Vinaigrette
 2 T  Dijon mustard
 2 T  champagne vinegar
 Kosher salt
1/2 c  extra-virgin olive oil
1    small bunch fresh tarragon washed, dried, leaves chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, vinegar, and
pinch of salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and then add the tarragon.
Taste for seasoning and set aside.
Allow the lettuce to remain in the freezer until just before serving.
They can remain in there for 4 to 6 hours, if necessary. When ready to
serve, transfer to a platter and drizzle each half with the dressing.
Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce