Ausukai


We ordered pizza tonight, but my wonderful fry daddy made a cookie I haven't had since I was a young girl. My father's side of the family is pure Lithuanian.  My paternal Grandmother would make these cookies I swear she called Ositas. (my dad agrees) I couldn't find a recipe for them anywhere.  I did (long time ago) see a Martha Stewart recipe for a Cruciki (sp?) but it had all these liquors and extracts I didn't remember being in the cookie.  I stumbled upon a Lithuanian cooking web site, (that I can't seem to find again.  It's like a ghost that popped up for me that one time and disappeared) and found a recipe for Ausukai.  It was the same cookie.  My husband made a test batch before they got here.  They were too thick and didn't fry right.  This time they were perfect.  I have vivid memories of my father devouring mass quantities of these cookies in a fog of powdered sugar that swirled off the cookie like snow.  We surprised him with them this year. He loved them.  He said that they took him back to his childhood.  That was one of my favorite parts of this Christmas. It is because of this recipe, I started collecting a cookbook of recipes after the birth of my son.  I thought this cookie was had passed away with my grandmother and I wanted to save recipes of my childhood to share with my kids and for them to share with their children.

Ausukai

2    egg yolks
1    whole egg
3 1/2 T  sugar
3 1/2 T  whipping cream
1 1/2 c  sifted white flour
powdered or confectioners'
sugar
vegetable oil for frying
Beat yolks and egg together until thick and the color of lemon. Sift
the flour with a pinch of salt. Whisk the flour, sugar, and the cream
into the egg mixture. Allow to stand for a few minutes.
Flour the kneading surface and your hands. Knead the dough on the
surface until no longer sticky. Roll out the dough until it's very thin.
Then fold the dough into thirds back onto itself. Roll out again; fold
again. Roll out again, very thin.
Cut the dough into small diamond strips, about 4" x 2". Cut a
lengthwise slit in the middle of each strip. Pull the other end through
the slit. It's not an ausuki unless you tie this knot!
In an oversize pot or a deep fryer, heat the vegetable oil to 350F. Fry
for about 3-4 minutes, only a maximum of six at a time, so that the oil
stays hot. When the ausukai appear golden, fry for about 20 seconds
more.  They should puff up. Do not brown!
Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the powdered sugar (the part we
kids really enjoyed!).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce