Catalan Fish Stew With Pimentón Mayonnaise
1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes,halved crosswise
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion,thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves,minced
1 c bottled clam broth
4 ounces sliced serrano ham cut into thin strips
1/3 c pitted green olives,chopped
1 1/2 lb halibut fillet,cut into-2-inch chunks
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 t sweet Pimentón de la Vera -(smoked Spanish paprika)
1. Using a box grater set in a bowl, carefully grate the cut sides
of the tomatoes, stopping when you reach the skin. You should have
about 2 cups of tomato pulp.
2. In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add
the onion and half of the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring
frequently, until they are softened and just beginning to brown, about
6 minutes. Add the tomato pulp and cook over high heat until it is
thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the clam broth and boil until it is
reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the Serrano, olives and halibut and simmer over moderate heat,
stirring occasionally, until the fish is cooked through and the stew is
thick, about 5 minutes longer.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, using the back of a spoon, mash the
remaining garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Whisk in the
mayonnaise, pimentn and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Serve the fish stew in shallow bowls with a dollop of the pimentn
Make Ahead The smoked-paprika mayonnaise can be refrigerated for up to
2 days. Serve With Crusty bread.