Good Eats Meat Loaf Recipe

Another one of my husband's favorites.  I think it is alright.  I really think it is great, but I miss the nostalgia of a meatloaf without all the cumin.  The first time I made this recipe, I really irked my guy because he "hates meatloaf."  Well I happen to enjoy it, so I  figured Alton would steer us right.  He really did. Now meatloaf is one of the all time favorites of the guy who "hates meatloaf."  Which just goes to show you never know that you hate something.  Keep trying it and you may find one that you like.  He even cooked it tonight! Best part of this recipe is the cooking technique.  Brilliant to flip the meat out on to a pan so it doesn't boil.  (the 3 sides of glaze are a big plus too)  With it he made some lightly sauteed broccoli and mashed potatoes.  I have to admit that the gravy was instant. (blush)  A British friend of mine recommended these gravy granules you find in the international aisle of the grocery.  Its called Bisto.  I have to say it is pretty good.  OK I loved it, but I want to not because it isn't homemade.  It does tastes a bit processed, but it's GRAVY!  Since my last pregnancy, I can't get past the taste of processed foods.  I couldn't touch them when I was pregnant; they made me nauseous.  The aversion is still there but not as strong a reaction to them.  So begins my love/hate relationship with Bisto.  Love that tasty gravy is a boiling water moment away; hate that I love something processed that is just shy of just injecting fat straight onto my belly and butt:(.  I will have to practice self control!  OMG I just remembered, I love french fries and gravy.  I am in trouble lol.

Good Eats Meat Loaf Recipe
 6    ounces garlic-flavored -croutons
1/2 t  ground black pepper
1/2 t  cayenne pepper
1 t  chili powder
1 t  dried thyme
1/2    onion,roughly chopped
 1    carrot,peeled and broken
 3    whole cloves garlic
1/2    red bell pepper
18    ounces ground chuck
18    ounces ground sirloin
 1 1/2 t  kosher salt
 1    egg
 For the glaze
1/2 c  catsup
 1 T  ground cumin
 Dash Worcestershire sauce
 Dash hot pepper sauce
1 T  honey
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne
pepper,   chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine
texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion,
carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until
the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable
mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture.
Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine
thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.
Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the
meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf
out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe
at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the
bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.
Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and
honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for
about 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce