Black Beans and Rice

Well I  had presoaked some black beans in anticipation of tonight's dinner.  I had some Coke and ham drippings from the ham cooked in Coca-Cola (11/28/11).  I froze the cooking liquid in two batches for future use.  (Nigella Lawson the chef whose cook book I got the recipe from said it made the most fabulous black bean base)  It was pretty tasty.  Yes it was sweet, but not too sweet, and with the addition of some salt and some of the liquid from some pickled jalapenos it was just right.  I still prefer my original recipe for black beans, but its very good.  I deviated from the recipe in that I used dried black beans and the ham/coca-cola liquid rather than canned black beans; I omitted the chipotle and used some of the pickled jalapeno juice instead.  I also cooked it much longer and topped it with sliced scallions and cilantro.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce