Coconut Cream Pie

I have had a plan for years now to make a dessert every Sunday.  Today is the first time I actually did.  I gave my husband a list of about 40 (trimmed down from hundreds) recipes that we haven't made or weren't yet on the blog.  I asked him to pick 7 for the week.  One of the seven was this recipe, so I guess I have to make a dessert this week;).  I rounded out the week by adding the salmon burger to the week's recipes.  I have always known that my dessert skills were practically nonexistent, so I dove into this one pretty excited and anxious.  I think coconut cream pie is one of my all time favorites and it looked fairly simple, but this is still straying into the science realm of cooking that always strikes a bit of terror in me.  Well it came out great.  I little loose to cut into neat wedges, but delicious.

Coconut Cream Pie

1 c  (250 mL) granulated sugar
1/4 c  (50 mL) cornstarch
Pinch salt
1 c  (250 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
4    egg yolks
2 c  (500 mL) whole milk
1 c  (250 mL) packed sweetened flaked coconut
1 T  (15 mL) butter
1    9-inch (23 cm) store-bought or homemade Graham Cracker Crust
    TOPPING
1 1/4 c  (300 mL) whipping (35%) cream
2 T  (25 mL) confectioner’s (icing) sugar
1/4 c  (50 mL) sweetened flaked coconut,toasted
[Note: This pie is wonderful served with chocolate sauce or Hot
Fudge Sauce on the side   ]
1. In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
Whisk in coconut milk until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks until smooth.
Whisk in milk. Cook mixture over medium heat, whisking continuously,
until thick and bubbly. Reduce temperature to low and continue to cook,
whisking, for 2 minutes more or until mixture is very thick.
2. Remove saucepan from heat and strain filling through a fine-mesh
sieve into a bowl. Stir in coconut and butter until butter is melted.
Pour into prepared pie crust, pressing a piece of plastic wrap directly
onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool completely.
Refrigerate pie for 4 to 6 hours or until filling is firm enough to
slice.
3. Topping: Just prior to serving pie, in a bowl, using an electric
mixer or whisk, whip together cream and confectioners sugar until soft
peaks form. Swirl whipped cream over top of pie and garnish with
toasted coconut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce