Beer Can Chicken & Roasted Baby Carrots With Herbed Mustard Butter

My husband got a new grill for this 40th birthday and we have been enjoying it.  As almost a joke I got my husband one of those stands for beer can chicken.  I have never enjoyed the taste of beer and the whole idea of cooking chicken this way makes me think of it as the culinary equivalent of the mullet hair haircut.  However, I believe in trying everything so we gave it a go. He rubbed the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder.  We stuck a can of Yuengling in it and put it over the indirect heat for a long time.  (I think it was close to 45 minutes)  I have to admit it was some of the moistest chicken I have ever had.  I did get a hint of beer but not enough to make me dislike it.  With it we had a salad and Roasted Baby Carrots with Herbed Mustard Butter.  I have to say that the carrots were my favorite.  We had a lovely bunch from my Front Porch Pickings basket.  They were a tad large for "baby" but I just cooked them a bit longer.  I also used Dijon rather than brown mustard, and I used chives as the herb.
I loved it. 
Roasted Baby Carrots With Herbed Mustard Butter
1 lb baby carrots (about 2 bunches),peeled (optional), green stems removed
2 t  olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 T  unsalted butter
2 t  coarse-grained mustard
1 T  coarsely chopped fresh herbs,such as dill, Italian parsley, chives
If the baby carrots are small enough in diameter,
you can leave them whole
Heat the oven to 450F and arrange a rack in the middle.

Place the carrots on a baking sheet, drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to evenly coat. Roast, shaking the pan occasionally, until a knife easily pierces the carrots, about 10 to 15 minutes. (Smaller carrots will cook in less time.) Remove from the oven and set aside while you prepare the herbed mustard-butter.

Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the mustard and stir to combine. Add the roasted carrots and herbs and toss to coat the carrots in the butter mixture. Season with salt and pepper as needed


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce