Chilaquiles With Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

I got a "green basket" from Front Porch Pickings.  They deliver produce to my area and the Tampa area,  and they specialize in local and organic produce.  I got many beautiful things in this basket and I wanted to use as much as possible in my first dish.  I decided to adapt the recipe for chilaquiles with roasted tomatillo salsa from Marcela Valladolid to the ingredients I got in my basket.  (Mainly because I got some lovely tomatillos and I love chilaquiles)  So while it is similar, I did make some substitutions to fit my ingredients, as you will see if you compare the two recipes.  It was an amazing dish.  Everyone loved it and the boy was disappointed that there wasn't enough for seconds.  (I am trying to avoid leftovers as they plague me;)  It was perfect.  I have had them in restaurants and this is just as good.  I even got rid of some leftover chicken.  I sliced it up and warmed it in a bit of the salsa and broth (separately because I didn't want meat) and threw it on top of everyone else's dish.  It is easily adaptable to tomatoes instead of tomatillos and any chile would work as long as you are aware of how much heat you are adding to your dish. You could also use any protein or none in the dish. (beans included)  We had it with a salad and I included in with the greens some of the miniature cucumbers I got in my basket.  They were the best cukes I have ever had!  I am so looking forward to using the rest my fresh local produce!

Chilaquiles With Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Tomatillo Salsa (Salsa Verde)
1 lb fresh tomatillos
2 Large  fresh Anaheim chiles
3  garlic cloves,unpeeled
1  large onion,coarsely chopped
Olive oil,as needed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c  fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 c  chicken broth or more as needed
Chilaquiles
1/3 c  vegetable oil
10    corn tortillas,"(cut into eighths, preferably stale)
3 c  roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 c  Crumbled queso fresco or a mild feta (I used feta because my local Publix didn't have the queso fresco.)
 2    thin slices onion,separated into rings
1/2 c  Mexican crema,creme fraiche or sour cream (again sour cream because crema was not available)
1/4 c  chopped fresh cilantro leaves,for garnish
Special equipment: 4 individual casserole dishes

To make the salsa:Preheat the broiler or oven to 550 degrees F.
Remove husks from the tomatillos and rinse under warm water to remove
the stickiness. Put the chiles, garlic, onion and tomatillos on a
baking sheet. Season with a little olive oil, and salt and pepper, to
taste. Put on a rack about 1 or 2 inches from the heat, and cook,
turning the vegetables once, until softened and slightly charred, about
5 to 7 minutes. (I cooked them at 550 for 5 minutes and then broiled for 2 minutes)  When cool enough to handle, peel the garlic and pull off the tops of the chiles. Add all the broiled ingredients to a blender along with the fresh cilantro and puree. Pour in 1/4 cup of chicken broth and blend to combine. Add more broth, if needed, for desired consistency.
To make the chilaquiles:
Pour about 1/3 cup vegetable oil into a large saute pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the tortillas, working in 2 or 3 batches, and cook until lightly browned and nearly crisp. Drain the tortillas on paper towels and discard the remaining oil. Wipe the pan with a paper towel. (most chilaquiles recipes have you use tortilla chips for this and it is a bit of a time saver but we cooked our own.) In the same pan, add the tomatillo salsa and bring to simmer over low
heat. Add the tortillas and cook until soft but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Divide the mixture among 4 individual casserole dishes. Top with the cheese crumbles and onion rings. Drizzle with Mexican crema.  Put the casserole dishes under the broiler for 2 minutes.  Remove the dishes (careful they will be HOT!  Duh;) sprinkle with some chopped
fresh cilantro and serve immediately.

Comments

  1. Yummmmm!! I am from Southern California now living in Western Washington. I haven't had Chilaquiles in years!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce