Vegetable Pakoras

I first tried this recipe when a friend brought them over to my house for a party.  I loved them.  She said she got them out of a book of Tibetan recipes.  They are not the most photogenic of foods but they are delicious.  My thoughtful friend gave me some of the Kopan Masala, but I did find the recipe online.  In a pinch I think you could use Garam Masala which is available at the supermarket. I didn't have the  Indian Tomato Red Powder and I didn't go looking for it since it said optional.  I am giving the recipe as she gave it to me, but I changed it a bit.  I didn't have red onion on hand so I used the yellow ones I did.  I also cut the semicircles in half.  In fact I believe I cut all the veggies I used in to smaller pieces than the recipe seemed to call for.  Nothing was larger than a quarter. Love that this recipe can use any and all veggies that are on hand.  I used broccoli (this made up about half of the veggies I used), red pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash.  Everything but the squashes were from my Front Porch Pickings basket. Now I know that deep frying veggies is not the most healthy way to prepare them, but I believe that getting the veggies in to the kids (and husband;) is more important than the frying is bad.  I wouldn't use any veggies in this that are really wet.  I thinking like tomatoes, but other than that, you can use all those vegges in your fridge.

Tips: Ginger often goes bad before we use it all.  I peel and freeze ginger. It will keep longer and it makes it a snap to grate.  Broccoli stems are not the horrible thing they usually are.  Just peel the outer fibrous layer and cut into coins.
Vegetable Pakoras

1 c  Flour
1/4 t  Baking Powder
2    Eggs
1/2 c  Water
1 T  Fresh Ginger,Grated
1 T  Garlic,Minced
1/4 c  Red Onion,Sliced Thin In Semi Circles
1/4 c  Cilantro,Finely  Chopped
1 t  Kopan Masala
1/4 t  Chili Powder
1/2 t  Salt
1/4 t  Black Pepper
2 t  Soy Sauce
pn Indian Tomato Red Powder Optional
2 c  Broccoli And Cauliflower Floweretts Only Sliced Thin (can Use Any Combination Of  Veggies),Shredded Or Chopped
Oil,For Frying

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, egg and water unitl smooth with
a whisk.  Add spices, seasoning, red powder and red onion. Mix well.
Add the veggies to the batter and coat well. Add heaping tablespoons of
the coated veggies one by one to the fryer.  Deep fry on medium to
medium high until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Comments

  1. Delish! Pakoras is one of my favorite appetizers to order at a indian restaurant. These sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce