Vichyssoise & Egg Rolls

It seems that my belief that I struck the fridge a mortal blow the last time we met in battle was presumptuous.  It has retaliated by actively breeding its contents in the dark of night and doubling its number of suicide troops. (you know those items that are stacked on top of other items and leap at you when you open the door!) It is hoarding its leftovers in order to keep the temperature cooler in there and there just so it can start freezing items and ruining them just for spite.  I am tempted, with the same spite, to just blitzkrieg its a$$ by throwing out all the contents and starting over. But I can't, there are too many pricey condiments in there to justify such a drastic action.  The only way I am going to beat this monster is to make a meal that resembles heavily patched jeans. (IE 1 leftover pizza slice, 1 burger, some random 1/2 portions of sides and some odds and ends of cheese blocks.  yummy, NOT!) I don't know if I can do that.  Everyone else in the family would be OK with that, but not I.  Maybe that is the solution! My plan was to make a soup and salad and I would eat that and the boys could have leftovers and the soup and salad if they wanted. Well that's not exactly what happened.
I started the process with a  potato.  I had one left over from something and while it was a large potato, not really the stuff of a meal.  (yes I know it would keep longer) So reflecting on my discomfort eating last night out side with the heat of the grill near by, I thought, cold and then, VICHYSSOISE!  I love vichyssoise, but have never made it.  I make a quick perusal of the recipes on the Internet and believe I got the gist.  Now to apply that to the ingredients I have on hand.  OK the things I am getting out of the fridge for the soup,  3 (plus that potato is 4!), sensing the fridge's fear, priceless!  OK now I feel that the day will be mine, I dive in again to make another dish.  I planned on a salad because I have arugula I bought for last night's burger, however the fridge still smarting from my last blow says but the shredded cabbage is older.  Well poop!  What should I do with that?  Then I spy the left over egg roll wrappers, half a red onion and some diced red pepper. I will make egg rolls sucker.  You think cabbage is going to throw me?  Now I am getting rid 4 more items and using up some of those pricey condiments that are the only thing keeping you in this battle my dear opponent:). Oh that brings the total to a glorious 8 things I am getting rid of. Smugly I think that the fridge is out of it's league. I then start thinking of the blog and making sure to note the ingredients and method of my improve refrigerator butt whipping and I feel a little silly.  French soup and Chinese appetizer. (Don't you judge me;) That is a bizarre combo but we ate them in courses and it all worked out.  While the soup chilled we fried and ate the egg rolls.  Then we had the soup. I loved the soup and the boy asked me to put it in his favorites file!

Vichyssoise

1/2 Onion, diced
2 Scallions sliced
3 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Potato peeled and cut into large cubes (20 was my count)
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Cup Heavy Cream
Chives

Melt the butter over medium heat in a pot. Add the onion and scallion and some salt and saute until they are soft.  Add the broth and the potato and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover and simmer about 25 minute. (until the potatoes are very tender.  Remove cover and take it off the heat.  Pour contents in to a blender.  Use a dish towel over the top of the blender as hot liquid will lift the lid off the blender.  Puree (careful not to burn you self;) Add the cream and put in a container to chill.  Let it become completely cold.  Serve in a bowl (set in a bowl of ice if you want to be restaurant fancy:) with the chive on top.

Egg Rolls

1 Bag of Cole Slaw (no dressing)
1/2 Red Onion diced
1/2 Red Pepper, diced
Egg roll wrappers
1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
Oil

Heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add the onions and pepper and saute until soft.  Add the cabbage and cool until just barely soft. Add the two sauces and stir and let cool.  Wrap the filling in the wrappers and leave them under a damp tea towel until time to cook.  Fry at 350 degrees until golden brown.

Now turn to your refrigerator and give it a smug look (optional:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce