Crispy Roast Chicken And Shallots With Miso Gravy

Happy Father's day all you dads out there!  I let my husband choose tonight's dinner.  He choose this one because of the word crispy.  I got to say it was a darn good choice.  We all loved the moist chicken and the unbelievable gravy.  I think this is what I want to  make for thanksgiving from now on.  Shallots to add some $$ to the price of the dish, so to avoid that you could use very small onions quartered or pearl onions halved.  We bought a whole chicken and cut it into breasts and whole legs.  The wings, which weren't called for in the recipe, went into the freezer for future broths.  I used the red miso as that was what was available at my nearby health food store.  When salting the shallots and chicken, go light and make sure to use the reduced sodium chicken broth.  It is easy to over do it and the resulting gravy will be too salty. I served it with mashed potatoes and arugula salad.  I got exactly what I wanted with this dish, an over the top tasty meal that looked impressive too. 


I would like to give a big and heartfelt THANK YOU, to the Saucy Gourmet for nominating me for the versatile blogger award. (its a great blog, go check it out!)

The rules of this award are:
1. Thank the Blogger who nominated you.
2. Include a link to their site
3. Include the award imagine to your post.
4. Include the award image on your blog.
5. Give 7 random facts about yourself.
6. Nominate 15 other bloggers for the award.
7. When nominating other bloggers, include links to their sites
8. Let those bloggers know they have been nominated.

Ok 7 random facts....

1) I performed a belly dance routine with my instructor and 2 friends at my baby shower 8 1/2 months pregnant.
2) I have been... lets say swarmed (since attacked it a bit much) by animals in 3 countries (4 different cities) All when trying to feed them. They obviously did NOT fear me. (ducks, pelicans, pigeons and squirrels)
3) I love reading; Sci fi and fantasy are among my favorites
4) I love video games (yes I am the cool mom lol)
5) I'm a stay at home mom
6) I'm a nerd and proud of it:)
7) I am much less fascinating than I thought because it was hard to come up with 7 random facts that won't bore the pants off you;)

As for nominations, this was harder than the facts! But while there are so many great blogs, I wanted to recognize the following: (in no particular order)

1) Laurie"s Cravings
2) Palatable Jazz
3) Nilawan
4) We Are Not Foodies
5) Feed Your Soul
6) Noshing With the Nolands
7) Chef Dennis
8) Awkard Kitchenette
9) Saturday Night Suppers
10) Sarah Cupcake
11) European Cutie
12) Olivia Jason Kim
13) Baker Street
14) Virtual Wine Bar
15) Griffin's Grub


Crispy Roast Chicken And Shallots With Miso Gravy

8    medium shallots,7 halved lengthwise, 1 minced
2 T  extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 c  white (shiro) or red (aka) miso
4 T  unsalted butter,softened
2 T  minced flat-leaf parsley
2 T  finely chopped chives
2 t  finely grated fresh ginger
1 T  all-purpose flour
4 lb chicken breasts and whole legs on the bone,with skin
1 c  low-sodium chicken broth
1.Preheat the oven to 425. In a large roasting pan, toss the halved
shallots with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2.In a medium bowl, mix the miso with the minced shallot, butter,
parsley, chives and ginger. Transfer 3 tablespoons of the miso butter
to a bowl and stir in the flour to form a paste.
3.With your fingers, gently separate the chicken skin from the breasts
and legs. Carefully work the remaining miso butter under the loosened
skin, spreading it evenly. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and
transfer to the roasting pan.
4.Roast the chicken in the center of the oven for 45 minutes, or until
the skin is browned and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced
with a knife. Transfer the chicken and shallots to a platter and cover
loosely with foil.
5.Pour the pan juices into a small saucepan and skim off the fat. Set
the roasting pan over high heat. Add the chicken broth and cook,
scraping up the browned bits from the bottom and sides of the roasting
pan with a wooden spoon. Pour the deglazed drippings into the small
saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in the miso-flour paste and simmer
until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Transfer the miso gravy to a
bowl and serve at once with the chicken and shallots.

Make Ahead
The shallot-miso butter can be refrigerated overnight. Let soften
before using. .

Comments

  1. Oh thank you so much for nominating me. I've written a little tribute to your site. Check it out at www.nillawan.com -> What's New?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Your chicken recipe sounds incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this award!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on receiving your versatile blogger award and thank you so much for thinking of me to pass it on too! I have to say I would have loved to have seen that belly dance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce