Crunchy Pork Kimchi Burgers

Delicious but not photogenic
First of all a great big THANK YOU to The Red Apron for a second nomination for the Versatile Blogger award. I am very pleased and excited to be part of the food buzz blogger community.  I am getting to know so many cool individuals in one of the best ways possible, through their food!
As for the dinner, I was a little upset when I realized this wasn't a proper burger on a bun.  All that disappointment faded with the first bite.  When I googled the recipe in the grocery store, I saw some other bloggers had tried this and recommended adding to (some even suggested doubling) the amount of kimchi.  I decided to measure a full cup of the kimchi after chopping.  It was perfect.  The panko coating was wonderful substitute for a bun.  The mayo was great; the spinach was out of sight!  My only complaint was I would have made more spinach.  I liked an equal portion of pork and spinach with a little mayo for each bite.  We used almost all of the spinach for half the pork.  Now my leftovers won't have enough spinach:(.  My husband did not require as much spinach per bite thankfully:)  I also made two 6 ounce bags, so I was already making a bit more than the recipe called for.  I think next time I will make three bags.  YUM!!!!!


Crunchy Pork Kimchi Burgers

1 T  minced fresh ginger
1    large garlic clove,minced
2    scallions,minced
1 lb ground pork
3/4 c  finely chopped kimchi
Kosher salt
All-purpose flour,for dusting
2    large eggs,beaten
1 c  panko (Japanese bread crumbs),lightly crushed
Vegetable oil,for frying
2    5-ounce bags baby spinach (I chopped this but it wasn't called for)
1/4 c  plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 t  toasted sesame oil
1 T  soy sauce
Toasted sesame seeds,for garnish
1. In a bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, scallions, pork and kimchi
with 1 teaspoon of salt. Form the mixture into eight 3-inch patties,
1/2 inch thick. Dust the patties with flour.
2. Put the eggs and panko in 2 shallow bowls. Dip the patties in the
egg and then in the panko, pressing to help the crumbs adhere.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil. Add the patties
and fry over moderate heat, turning, until golden and cooked through, 5
to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
4. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet. Add the
spinach in batches, season with salt and cook over high heat until
wilted, about 1 minute.
5. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sesame oil and soy sauce. Mound the
spinach on plates and top with the burgers. Drizzle with the sauce,
sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce