The Queso Fresco Experiment

While the tide is turning in my favor in my battles with my food supplies, I know that if I am not vigilant they will regroup and then I will have to start over.  The food had some sneaky troops stationed neither in the fridge nor the pantry!  There were a plethora of tortillas, never opened, from a long time ago.  I turn to the fridge and note that there is a large block of queso fresco left over from our chilequiles.  Seeing as they are both ingredients for Mexican, but knowing that quesco fresco isn't exactly 'melting' cheese, I decide to experiment with it all and make a quesadilla and hope for the best.  So I am taking out the tortillas  and the queso before they go bad.  That's two.  I notice one lone small red pepper that some how was hiding behind the fruit and a small 1/2 of a red onion that needs to be used.  Ok all working so far.  I had the remnants of a large bag of shredded mozzarella.  Ha I will clean that up too:).  OH!  I have two open jars of salsa.  I;m going to be using one of you also. I also had some minced up onion.  What is going on with the onion in my fridge?  I round it out with an avocado that needed to be eaten today and some crema that needs to be used in the next month. (seeing how it is a bit of a speciality item, it should be used whenever it can be) All in all it came out pretty good.  No the cheese didn't really melt much.  It was kind of like fresh mozzarella in that it softened but not really melted. Tomorrow, a proper recipe!

Improv Quesadilla Experiment

1/2    Red Onion,Sliced
1 sm Red Bell Peppers,Sliced
6    Tortillas
Butter
12 sl Queso Fresco
1/4 t  Maggi Seasoning
1/2 t  Cumin
1/2 t  Chili Powder
1/2 c  Mozzarella
Crema,For Garnish
Cilantro,For Garnish
Salsa,For Garnish
Onion,Minced,For Garnish
Avocado,Sliced,For Garnish
Melt some butter in the pan and saute the onions and red pepper. Add
the cumin, chili powder and maggi and stir and cook for one more minute.
Remove them to a plate and wipe out the pan.  Melt some more butter
and put a tortilla in the pan and swirl it around so it gets coated
with melted butter.  Take it out and put it butter side up on a plate
or cutting board.  IF there isn't enough butter in the pan, add a little
more.  Place another tortilla in the pan and add 4 slices of the queso,
1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/2 of the onion and pepper mixture them top
with the buttered tortilla, butter side up. Cook each side until nice
and golden brown.
Cut the quesadilla and top with any and all of the garnishes.  I like
to fold my quesadilla triangle over a slice of avocado.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce