Butter Bean Hummus

With the lovely butter beans I got from my Front Porch Pickings basket, I decided to try a butter bean hummus recipe.  My son, who would have turned his nose up at the beans themselves, really liked it.  My husband and I did too.  The only thing I found, for me, was it kind of like taking a big swig of what you thought was Coke only to find it Root Beer.  Both taste good but it flavor difference was hard to get over at first.  Now that I expect it, no problem, but in the beginning it some getting use to. We had a cocktail hour with some friends and I served the hummus with some garlic hot sauce, olives and wasabi almonds.  Mmmmmm. 
Butter Bean Hummus

1 lb dried butter beans (Lima beans)
4    garlic cloves
1/3 c  tahini
2 t  kosher salt
1/2 t  black pepper,freshly ground
1/2 t  cayenne
1 c  olive oil
1/4 c  lemon juice,freshly squeezed
1Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water.2Drain and discard the
soaking water.3Put the beans in a pot and cover with cold fresh water.
4Bring to a boil and then simmer, partially covered, until they are
very tender but not mushy.5Remove from heat and drain, reserving the
cooking liquid.6Put the beans in a food processor fitted with a steal
blade.7Add garlic, tahini, salt, pepper, and cayenne.8Puree this
mixture, and with the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil and
lemon juice.9If the puree is too thick, pour in a little of the
reserved cooking liquid until the puree is silky smooth, I use up about
one cup of the cooking liquid.10Taste for seasoning and add more salt
and cayenne if desired.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce