Okra And Tomatoes

I have never cooked okra.  I have had it fried and didn't really like it, and I believe that if you don't like an item fried, you just don't like it.  This proved that to be untrue; I have found that it isn't true for a few things actually.  Scallops I love and not a fan of fried.  This okra was really great.  So, yet another benefit to my Front Porch Picking basket, second chances for veggies I wrote off.  I added a little more salt, and for the dredging in flour, I put the okra and flour in a bowl and put a plate over the top and shook to coat.  I thought it worked really well.  We also splashed a dash or two of hot sauce at the table.  My son thought it would make an excellent salsa.  I thought that was a pretty good idea:)

Okra And Tomatoes
4    bacon slices
1    (16-ounce) package frozen sliced okra,thawed
2 T  all-purpose flour
1    large onion,chopped
4    plum tomatoes,seeded and chopped
2 t  sugar
1/2 t  salt
1/2 t  pepper
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; drain
and crumble, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Set bacon
aside.
Dredge okra in flour.
Saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Add okra; cook,
stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in
tomato and sugar; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8
minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce