Cabbage And Noodles

My first thought upon completing this dish was it really isn't pretty is it!  My fist bite was pronounced ok.  I decided that I really needed to add more than a dash of garlic and salt.  I also made one other change.  There was tons of the bacon fat left in the pan.  Maybe the bacon was extra fatty or thicker than the original recipe called for so I omitted the butter.  The noodles were done at the same time they were to go into the cabbage, so I didn't need to worry about them sticking to each other.  Maybe they meant salted butter and that would account for the need for a bit more salt.  (I did a dash of salt and a dash of granulated garlic.  I try to never by my seasonings mixed.  It costs less and you can easily do it yourself)  Well after the additional seasoning, (oh a splash of hot sauce as well)  I have to say I started to really like the dish.  The bites with a bit of  every component were really great! Two other bonuses: the dish was easy and fast, and I believe the entire dish cost about $4.00! (I am figuring how I made it.  Add a bit for the butter if you want)  My 11 year old, my 2 year old and myself ate about a 1/3 of what I made also, so I figure you could feed a family of 4, with 2 teenage boys, with the dish.  Now I should have made a veggie with it; I even skipped our usual salad, but it was a lazy day:).

Cabbage And Noodles

1    (8 ounce) package egg noodles
3 T  butter
1/2 lb bacon
1    small head cabbage,chopped
1 ds garlic salt
1    Onion,Chopped
1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling
boil over high heat. Stir in the egg noodles; return to a boil. Cook,
uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are cooked through,
but still firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain; return to the pot
and stir in the butter.
2. Meanwhile, place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over
medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10
minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Place the onion into the skillet with the bacon grease, and cook and
stir over medium heat until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the cabbage, and cook and stir until wilted, about 5 minutes.
Chop the bacon, add it to the skillet, and cook until the cabbage is
tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles, and continue cooking
just until heated through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce