Lentils, Couscous and Wilted Spinach

I had plenty of leftover cooked lentils and Israeli Couscous after the vegan burger fiasco.  I also found like 3 containers of lemons.  The war with the fridge was on, again.  Lemons made me think of seafood; I choose shrimp as we hadn't had them in a while.  I knew I wanted to try to make a side of the lentils and couscous, but they needed something.  That something was 2 six ounce bags of spinach.  The result was really good.  I loved it, my husband really liked it, the boy hates cooked spinach so he was not in love with it.  I cooked the spinach like it is in the Italian Sausage Burgers with Garlicky Spinach.  It is really good by itself.  I let my husband saute the shrimp.  I wanted to put them on skewers and grill them, but he offered to saute them up so I let him.  I know they were sauteed in butter with some garlic, salt and red pepper flakes.

Lentils, Couscous and Wilted Spinach

2 cups Israeli Couscous, cooked
1 cup lentils, cooked
2 Six ounce bags of spinach
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 clove of garlic, sliced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of anchovy paste
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper

Put 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a small pot and add the sliced garlic. Set over low heat.  Put the lentils and couscous in a pot to reheat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Cover with a lid and set over medium low heat.  (check and stir this pot occasionally to insure even heating and to mix them well)   Put a large skillet with a 1/4" of water in the bottom over high heat.  Add the spinach and stir until wilted. (about one minute and I worked it 2 batches)  Put the spinach in a strainer and press out all the water you can.  Chop the spinach finely.  Wipe out the skillet the spinach was in and set over high heat.  Add 2 tablespoons of the oil.  Add the minced garlic and anchovy paste and cook about a minute.  Add the chopped spinach to the oil and stir and remove from heat. Pour the garlic, oil and butter mixture through a strainer and into the lentil mixture.  Stir that well.  Add the lentil mixture and the lemon juice to the spinach pan and stir until well incorporated.  Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Tonight's salad I thought was very
pretty so I snapped a picture of it
too:)

Comments

  1. I've never tried cooking Israeli couscous - this looks awesome. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) It is a lot more pasta like than regular couscous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce