Blackening Seasoning Mix

Ok so I am cheating again on the post a day thing:)  I was making the Cajun chicken Alfredo and instead of buying blackening mix, I made it.  I knew I must have all the necessary ingredients (and I did) to make it since I have a very full spice cabinet.  Why add another jar to that jumble? This did make enough for two or three of the dish I made it for, so I took a practically empty jar of paprika and made it in that.  (Conveniently the jar held a pinch more than the 1 tablespoon needed for this)  The mixture is very spicy by itself,  but isn't very once it was in the dish.  I rarely buy pre made spice mixtures.  First of all, they usually have some odd sounding chemical in them that I don't really want or need.  Secondly, they are inevitably mostly salt.  I like controlling the amount of  salt in the food we eat.  I love salt, but as I have slowly reduced the amounts of salt (not all mind you, salt is very key to food tasting good) I find we need less to enjoy our food.  It is easy to do too.  The Internet always has a recipe, but it isn't strictly necessary.  The first time I made my own spice mixture, I made a taco seasoning.  I just looked at the back of the packet and noted the spices and the order in which they were listed. The first ingredient was cumin, so I knew that there was more of it in the mix than any other spice.  The first time I made it it took a bit of experimenting, but it came out great and I used what was in my cabinet and no 11 letter ingredients in my mix.



Blackening Seasoning Mix (ala Paul Prudhomme)

1 T  sweet paprika
2 1/2 t  salt
1 t  onion powder
1 t  garlic powder
1 t  cayenne
3/4 t  white pepper
3/4 t  black pepper
1/2 t  dried thyme leaves
1/2 t  dried oregano leaves
Combine all ingredients. Keep unused portion in tight container

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce