Bourbon Chicken

Tonight's recipe was the highest rated review on food.com.  I was a little skeptical.  All the sweet ingredients in it just make me think it was going to be awful.  I was also a little concerned over the 3/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.  In the end, I think it was quite good!  My 2 yr old thought it was too spicy and my 11 year old made a big show of gulping milk, but he eats lots of spicy stuff so I kind of think he was being dramatic.  I thought the heat was perfect. If your family doesn't do much spice, use a 1/2tsp or even 1/4tsp of the red pepper flakes.  It really wasn't that spicy with 3/4tsp; it just had a little bite to it with the after taste.  As an added bonus, it was super easy to make.  I think the whole thing (including the rice and the sauteed bok choy with garlic) took 30 minutes.  I started the rice in the rice cooker after I got the chicken in the pan and I prepped and cooked the bok choy while the chicken was simmering for 20 minutes. Now you may be noticing that there is no bok choy recipe on tonight's post.  This is to accommodate my darling husband and his desire to have a repeat dinner.  I will post the bok choy recipe tomorrow.:) I have to admit I am impressed with the recipe.  Not only because it is tasty, but also because it is super easy.  My only criticism is that there are no veggies.  (that is why I added the bok choy)  I think the recipe would work with 1 lb chicken and 1 lb of sauteed veggies.  Depending on the veggie, I would either saute them after the chicken or blanch them separately. (the latter I am thinking broccoli specifically)


Bourbon Chicken

2 lb boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
1    -2 tablespoon olive oil
1    garlic clove,crushed
1/4 t  ginger
3/4 t  crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c  apple juice
1/3 c  light brown sugar
2 T  ketchup
1 T  cider vinegar
1/2 c  water
1/3 c  soy sauce
Directions:
1 Heat oil in a large skillet.
2 Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3 Remove chicken.
4 Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium Heat until well mixed
and dissolved.
5 Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
6 Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7 Serve over hot rice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce