Grilled Romaine with Blue Cheese-Bacon Vinaigrette

 Now, I do like a good grilled romaine, and I don't hate bacon, so this was going to be good.  Both my son and I LOVED it.  After both our first bites we looked at each other and were like that was good!  The dressing with the blue cheese was the star, but grilled romaine held its own.  My husband came home about an hour after we ate, and I fired up the grill again to provide him with a freshly grilled salad.  After his first bite, he said "what is this stuff on the lettuce, it's awesome!'.  So I consider that a clean sweep as the two year old doesn't eat anything but fruit at this point:).  I have to say that this recipe being a triumph is sorely needed. I realize how dependent I have become on my Accuchef recipe program.  I sent off an email to their support.  I know it's Sunday, but my accuchef being down, and haven't heard from support,  is really annoying me and I am using pepperplate in the mean time, and I think I just may stay with it if accuchef can't recover my recipes.   Ok quit complaining Kim, there are worse problems!  As for any issues with the dish, none really.  The only thing I could say is that is was a bit oily and messy.  You have two options when it comes to eating this: 1) chop the whole thing up and mix it together or, 2) pick it up like a hot dog and eat it that way.  We opted for the latter as we are at home and can get messy with our food:).  There was a lot of dressing dripping out the back and down our hands.  Annoying but so worth if.  Go try this recipe.



 

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 heads romaine lettuce, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
 
Preheat the grill to high heat.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saute pan over high heat. Add the onions and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. To the same pan add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.

Brush the romaine lettuce with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, place on the grill cut side down, and quickly sear.

Serve the lettuce, cut side up, and drizzle the balsamic dressing over the lettuce. Sprinkle with blue cheese and garnish with cracked black pepper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce