Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese


My daughter requested Mac and Cheese today.  Now, while I love how cheap and easy a box of mac is, it is a salty chemical cocktail I would rather avoid.  Problem two is I don't like baked mac and cheese.  (maybe with Velveeta but again chemicals)  I turn to Alton Brown.  I remembered seeing him make a mac and cheese version for those kids who like the boxed stuff.  This is that recipe.  Now it is better than baked as far as I am concerned, and very tasty.  It isn't harder than making the box stuff.  (really, maybe only a bit more because you beat eggs, and maybe a couple minutes more)  It cost more than  the box, but then again you get what you pay for.  My only complaint was that it was a bit too runny at first, and reheated it was too thick.  The runny may have been caused by not draining the pasta well enough.  I thought I did, but I was also rushing.  My kids loved it and so did my husband.


Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
 
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy

Their wine pairing suggestion:
Chardonnay
Rich, buttery white wine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce