Miami Burger

I made one deviation from this recipe, I used burger patties made from 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 ground pork. Why? Well because I had some ground beef & pork leftover from the last time I made meatballs. We mixed those meats and made patties and froze them in vacuum bags. We didn't have enough meat to make patties from one type of meat but we had enough for 3 if we mixed them together. What was I going to do with them? I turned to the burger master, Bobby Flay, and the cookbook I got free on iBooks (Called Bobby Flay's Bold Flavors).  This is like a Cuban sandwich and a burger had a baby and those are two of my favorite sandwiches.  All I have to say is DANG it was good.  We all devoured our burgers.  I think we had patties that were a bit bigger than the 1/4 pound called for and that was my only issue with the burger; I thought the patty was a bit big, but that's my fault:).  We all were really pleased with the whole  meal.  A solid 4.5.


Miami Burger

1/2 lb grounf beef
1/2 lb ground pork
(the original recipe said 1 lb of beef or turkey. Use the half & half mixture I did!)
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil
1/2 c Mayonnaise
4 Cloves of Garlic (roasted)
4 Hamburger Buns
1/4 c Dijon Mustard
8 slices Swiss Cheese
4 slices ham
2 Dill Pickles sliced in to 1/4" slices

1) Divide the meat in to 4 equal portions and form them loosely in to a 3/4' thick burger.  Make a deep depression in the center of the patty with your thumb.  Season with salt and pepper.
2) Heat your grill on high.  Brush the patties with the oil
3) Cook the burgers until golden brown on both sides and to your desired doneness (turkey or pork?  well done only!) Remove burgers to a plate.
4) Mash garlic to a paste and nix with the mayonnaise.  Season with salt and pepper
5) Spread both sides of the bun with mayo and mustard.  Top the bottom bun with a slice of cheese, top that with the burger, then the slice of ham, the other slice of cheese, plenty of pickle slices and finally the top of the bun..
6) Wrap the burgers in foil.  You can use a skillet or a sandwich press, but we just put them back on the grill and pressed them with a cast iron skillet we had heated on the grill.

The recipe notes that to roast garlic, roast in an oven preheated to 375. Toss the cloves in olive oil and roast for about 15 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet.  (we wrap a couple of loves in foil and toast in the toaster oven)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce