Thursday, January 17, 2013

Korean Beef Tacos With Cucumber Slaw

I was very excited for this recipe despite two prejudices I have.  1) I think crockpots are, well, a crock.  I think they are a one trick pony but since my old girl still works, I haven't tossed her.  2) Yes, short ribs are amazing, but their fatty, connective tissue laden selves give me the willies, but despite my issues, I was looking forward to the dish.  Why?  Korean, taco, sriracha, homemade pickle, hello?  I don't know what the recipe for ambrosia is, but I bet it reads similar.  I halved the meat amount you see below, as we are only 4, but I kept the rest of the amounts the same.  I now have a container of beef fat (separated from the liquid) and the cooking liquid in the freezer to take up space until I think of a use for it or I go to war with my kitchen again.  These tacos lived up to their promise.  I did to the "optional'  liquid reduction the author did.  I think it is necessary! (oh and I halved the amount for the reduction too)  My mind failed me; I bought alfalfa sprouts instead of bean sprouts.  I think they would have been really good on this.  I did use the short ribs as they were less per pound that the chuck.  My husband loved them and he ate them reheated since he was home late.  I highly recommend this dish!


Korean Beef Tacos With Cucumber Slaw

For the Korean beef:
5 Lb beef short ribs (can also use chuck roast or back ribs)
1 bottle (10 oz) low sodium soy sauce
1 Cup packed brown sugar
6 Clove garlic minced
4 Tbl ginger grated
6 Tbl rice vinegar
2 Tbl dark sesame oil
2 Tbl vegetable or olive oil
2 Tbl sriracha
1 Cup water (optional)
For the Cucumber Slaw:
1 cucumber (seedless recommended)
Thinly sliced red onion rounds
1/2 Tsp salt
2 Tbl rice vinegar
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
For the tacos:
16 small wheat tortillas (I used flour)
cilantro
bean sprouts
Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
sriracha

The recipe can be found here



1 comment:

  1. I'm extremely full right now, but these still look great! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete