Spicy Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower & Tomatoes

I was so excited to get Romanesco Cauliflower in my Front Porch Pickings basket!  I have seen pictures before and always wanted to try it, but could never find it.  Chalk up yet another reason to get a local produce delivery company or join a CSA.  The vegetable is striking!  I would find my self staring at it whenever I opened the fridge.  I found several recipes I wanted to try, but ended up deciding on this one for two reasons.  One, I wanted to make sure we didn't cover up the cauliflower's natural flavor since it was the first time we were trying it, and two it would be a crime to make anything that called for us to cut the head up into anything smaller than florets!  Now I could have just plain roasted it (or steamed it for that matter) and would have been happy, but my less that cauliflower loving boys wouldn't have taken so kindly to that.  In fact, cauliflower is one of the two veto ingredients I allow my boy.  He usually gags if cauliflower passes his lips, but I made him try two small florets. (who knows when we may see this again?)  It was amazing, NO GAG!  Did he like it? Not really, but he ate the pieces I told him to and declared it better than the plain ole white variety.  So the boy thought it was better and that the texture was better.  My husband loved the texture and thought it a vast improvement over the regular type.  I agree with them on the texture but I also thought it tasted a bit different and loved the flavor, but I can't quite put my finger (or tongue) on how it tasted different but I liked it, a lot.  So, if you are ever lucky enough to find Romanesco cauliflower, I think you will be happy no matter how you prepare it, just please, use a recipe that calls for florets and don't destroy its striking beauty.



Spicy Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower & Tomatoes
 
1 head of romanesco cauliflower core removed and cauliflower broken up in to florets
3 organic heirloom tomatoes (sliced)
2-4 tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp flaky sea salt
1/2 Tsp chili powder
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lemon
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. On a baking sheet, toss the
cauliflower florets, oil, salt and chili powder together. Add several
grinds of black pepper. Line up the tomatoes and paint both sides with
oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper and chili powder.
Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is
softened and is brown in places.
Remove from oven and squeeze the lemon over the cauliflower. Serve
immediately.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce