Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Cream Sauce

I had bought a butternut squash for a recipe I keep wanting to try, but just can't bring myself to.  (too long to explain just enjoy the mystery;)  I decided when I was buying the won ton wrappers for my Year of the Snake Dumplings, I would get a second set and make ravioli with them.  This is something I have never done, but was excited to try.  I just kinda made it up as I went.  I have made a sage cream sauce before (don't remember the exact recipe but this is probably close), but I think I used fresh sage last time.  There was no fresh sage on hand, so dried it was!  I thought the end result was really yummy.  In fact I thought it tasty enough for our rarefied list of  "menu items" if we ever win the lotto and can open our own place, but for one thing: looks.  They weren't the prettiest ravioli by a long shot.  So, I turn to you all and ask, what did I do wrong and how can I make them look better in the future.  (I am looking at you Happy Valley Chow:)  I think presentation is a big part of the dining experience.  And, while I don't achieve beautiful perfect looking 5 star plates, I think I put a bit more effort in to the plating than most moms.  So, tasty?  YES!  Pretty?  Not so much.  I had a bit extra of the filling I scooped on to the center of the plate, and the resulting plate looks a bit (rather unfortunately) like a fried egg:D.





Butternut Ravioli

1 package of Won Ton Wrappers
1 medium Butternut Squash
1/4 cup cream
Salt
Olive oil

Sage Cream Sauce
 
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/4 Onion Finely  Chopped
3 Clove Garlic Minced
1 Tablespoon Flour
1 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Sage
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place cut side up on a baking sheet.  Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the tops and rub to coat evenly.  Roast in the oven for about an hour.  (until it is very soft)

Scrape out squash in to a blender or food processor.  Season it with a big pinch of salt and add 1/8 cup of cream.  Puree until smooth.  Add up to another 1/8 cup of cream to achieve the right consistency.  (you want it kind of like mashed potatoes)

Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft (about 5 minutes) Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir constantly cooking 4 minutes. Add the cream and sage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it comes back up to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper

Heat a large pot of salted water over high heat.

Place a won ton wrapper in front of you. Place a huge heaping teaspoon in the center of the wrapper.  Top with another wrapper and carefully press out the air.  Crimp edges with a fork.  Finish off all the wrappers (or filling, whichever comes first )

Drop a few ravioli in to the boiling water.  Don't crowd.  Cook until they start to float.  Mine took about 2 minutes.  With a slotted spoon, transfer to the sauce and lightly coat them so they won't stick to each other.  Then transfer them to a plate.  Finish cooking all the ravioli.  Put them on the plate and top with sauce (and any remaining filling if you have it)

 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce