Chicken Roasted with Herbs de Provence

I try to have each week a variety of proteins for my family.  I try to have chicken, seafood, beef, pork and a vegetarian meal and fill in the rest of the days with either vegetarian, chicken or seafood.  It doesn't always work out that way.  Sometimes the family makes a request, sometimes there is a good sale at Publix and sometime I just get lazy.  I didn't really have a plan when I bought a whole chicken but I knew there was plenty I could do with  it.  I decided to cook it like the 40 Cloves and a Chicken recipe we all love, but change it a bit.  It was well received, but next time I think I will double the herbs.  I originally planned on a full tablespoon, but it looked like a lot when I got half way through it and stopped.  As always, this method of cooking delivered juicy meat and crispy skin.  I didn't have a baguette and wasn't going out to the store, so I made some rice using some of the drippings from the chicken.  While the drippings were tasty, really they would be better on a baguette.



Chicken Roasted with Herbs de Provence


1 three lb chicken cut in to 8 pieces
1/4 cup olive oil
4 small carrots, cut in to 1-2" pieces
2 stalks celery, cut in to 1-2" pieces
1/2 an onion, cut into 6 pieces
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 Tbsp Herbs de Provence
Salt and Pepper

Heat oven to 350
Heat an oven proof pan on the stove over medium heat and put a little oil in the pan to just cover the bottom.  Season the chicken with salt.  Put the chicken in the pan, skin side down, and cook until the skin is browned. (about 6 minutes) Flip the chicken, season the skin side with the herbs and cook 5 more minutes.  Add the rest of the oil and tuck the veggies in to the gaps trying not to have any on top of the chicken.  Sprinkle everything with some pepper.  Cover and put in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours, basting once or twice.  (about 30 minutes before the dish was done, I added a baster-full of the drippings to the rice I was cooking, but this would ideally be best with a baguette)  Remove lid and turn broiler to high, and broil with the oven door ajar for 1-2 minutes or until the skin is brown and crisp



Comments

  1. Sounds and looks fantastic, I will definitely have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce