Biscuts and Sausage Gravy

I worked as a server in college at a Bob Evans.  Even though I think they are just a mini step above fast food, I still do like their sausage gravy.  My son LOVES it.  I decided to try an make a sausage gravy for him today.  Now, while I am from just about as south as you can get in the US, southern Florida is most definitely not 'the south.'  I didn't look up a recipe, I just kind of did what I thought should go in to a gravy, so if I made any cardinal sausage gravy sins, I apologize.  The end result was very tasty. I loved the flavor the wine & herb chicken broth gave the gravy. I am making this for my mom when she gets here with the other half of the sausage.


Sausage Gravy


1 tbsp oil
1/2 Lb sausage
1//2 Cup broth (I used Wine & herb chicken broth and I think its what made the gravy)
1.5 Tbl butter (unsalted) If needed
3 Tbl flour
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 cups of milk. (more if necessary to get the right consistency)
Salt pepper, garlic powder
1 Tsp sage


On medium heat, add oil and Sausage. Break up until the sausage with a wooden spoon as it sautes and is in small pieces.  Cook it until it is no longer pink. If the sausage didn't render much fat, add the butter  and stir until melted. Add the flour, stir to mix in to a paste and cook a minute or two. Add the stock and scrape the bottom of the pan and stir to mix. Add the cream and the cup of milk. Cook over  medium heat stirring occasionally until it thickens.  Add the sage and season to taste with salt,  pepper & garlic. Cook another minute. Add more milk as necessary, until the right consistency (i used about a 1/4 cup more)  Taste and adjust seasoning.



The Broth I Used




Comments

  1. Sausage and Gravy over biscuits is one of our favorites. We make it all the time for dinner (love breakfast for dinner). I will definitely have to give this a try, thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce