Red-Miso-Glazed Carrots

It's meatless Monday again, and my plan was for veggie fried rice.  Then, I realize I haven't used the beautiful carrots I got from Front Porch Pickings this past week.  I hated to relegate them to virtual obscurity as a small part of the fried rice, so I pull up the to try file again.  There I see these Miso Glazed Carrots.  I have red miso in the fridge, so it seemed like fate;).  (I had 1.5 lbs of carrots so I halved the recipe)  I still made a fried rice with some shredded carrots I had from a while back, a half of red onion, some leftover spinach from a lunch salad, ginger and garlic, but I also made this recipe.  The mistake I made was I cut them wrong.  I did carrot coins on the diagonal not cutting them length wise in to long strips as I later was on the original recipe's picture and that may have caused my only complaint: they were overcooked to my liking.  Next time I make this, I would reduce the roasting time to 10 minutes.  When it came time to eat, I served them separately, but I loved them all mixed together.  The idea was given to me by my son, who when he sat down said, "I smell meat.  I know it's meatless Monday but I smell meat."  I said that was most likely the miso and thought hey the carrots are the "meat" and mixed them together.  I also found that I love spinach in fried rice.  There was only a bit, but it was yummy!



Red-Miso-Glazed Carrots

3 Lb carrots sliced on the bias 1/3 inch thick
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1/2 Cup red miso paste
6 Tbl unsalted butter softened
1 Tbl light brown sugar
1 Cup thinly sliced scallions (about 6)
1. Preheat the oven to 425. In a large pot of salted boiling water,
blanch the carrots until barely crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and
pat dry.
2. In a medium roasting pan set over a burner, heat the oil. Add the
carrots and cook over high heat, stirring once, until lightly browned in
spots, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the miso with
the butter, brown sugar and half of the scallions to form a paste. Add
the miso butter to the carrots and toss until coated.
3. Roast the carrots for about 20 minutes, stirring once, until tender
and glazed. Stir in the remaining scallions. Transfer the carrots to a
bowl and serve.
Make Ahead The roasted carrots can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce