Teriyaki Salmon With Sriracha Cream Sauce

Update to the original post that follows: I made this with fresh ginger, a slightly thicker piece of salmon than last time, baked it in a rimmed baking sheet for 10 minutes at 400 and then spooned some of the marinade it was cooking in over the top and broiled it for about 2 minutes and it came out perfect.  It was one of the most amazing meals.  We had company and everyone loved their dish.  5 stars all the way!  I also made extra of the sauce, which I adore, and found out the next day it makes a tasty salad dressing if you can handle the heat


Tonight, I decided to dive into my thousands of pins on Pinterest and take the first step in my very long journey to get through them. I began this journey with some excitement but with a lot of trepidation.  My concern sprang not only from the infamy of Pinterest fails but as I read through the recipe I saw 2 things that boded disaster. The first of which was the amount of sweet things in the recipe. I was afraid the end result would be too sweet for my liking. The other problem, I was sure that the method and amount of time would assuredly over cook the salmon. Turns out, I was only right about the over cooking.

I still had some hope for the dish, and when I tasted the sriracha cream, I knew at least that part would be stellar.  Since I knew it would at worst be a fixable recipe, I, as I am cooking, start making mental notes on how I would have done it differently. I am convinced that these small changes would produce a superior, if slightly more labor intensive, dish.  First , replace the powdered ginger and garlic with fresh. I had a very hard time getting past the smell and flavor of the ginger.  Second, I would reserve some of the marinade to brush on the fish while cooking, and lastly, I would broil or grill the fish. It's true, I could have checked on the fish early and often and could have averted the problem but I didn't. Now, for all my nitpicking, it was a very tasty dish. My son ate all of his, and some of my husband's portion. He would have finished all of my husband's plate, but I wanted him to be able to try it when he got home. Even the little girl ate the fish with gusto.  Despite the tweaks I would make, making it this way is pretty fast and very easy. The hardest part is planning and getting the marinade ready so long before the actual cooking time. With the fish in the oven and rice in the cooker, I snuggled on the couch with the kids and had some great mommy/kids time. The boy rated it a 5! I think it could have been a 5 but didn't turn out one this time and am at a loss to give it an accurate rating as is. 

Ok I know I am being too picky, everyone loved it even overcooked:) As with all recipes I make from fellow bloggers there is a link to their site with the actual recipe but I am giving you a basic sense of what you will need.



Teriyaki Salmon With Sriracha Cream Sauce

cornstarch
soy sauce
brown sugar
ground ginger
garlic powder
honey
salmon filets
Cooked rice
Sesame seeds
Sliced green onions
For the Sriracha cream sauce:
mayonnaise
Sriracha
sweetened condensed milk

For recipe and instructions click here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce