Whole-Wheat Spaghetti With Swiss Chard And Pecorino Cheese

This week for meatless Monday, I used some of my Swiss chard from my Front Porch Pickings basket.  I really loved this recipe.  My husband, who hates chunks of tomato and olives, wasn't as impressed as I was.  I did slightly change how I made it.  First of all, I had huge onions, so I only used one.  It was most likely just shy of two onions.  I also only had one bunch of chard.  Next time, I will make sure I have two.  I missed having more.  I was doubly impressed that I not only liked it, but it was reasonably low calorie. I think the nutritional information at the end of the recipe said 1/4 of it was just under 400 calories.  It was pretty quick to throw together too.


  
Whole-Wheat Spaghetti With Swiss Chard And Pecorino Cheese

1 Tbl olive oil
2 onions thinly sliced
2 Bunch Swiss chard trimmed and chopped (about 14 cups)
3 garlic cloves minced
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
1/4 Cup dry white wine
1/4 Tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
1/4 Cup pitted kalamata olives coarsely chopped
2 Tbl freshly grated Pecorino cheese
2 Tbl toasted pine nuts

Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the
onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the chard and saute
until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant,
 about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, wine, and red
pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes
begin to break down and the chard is very tender, stirring occasionally,
about 5 minutes. Season the chard mixture, to taste, with salt and
pepper.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the
spaghetti and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring
frequently, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the spaghetti. Add the
spaghetti to the chard mixture and toss to combine.~
Transfer the pasta to serving bowls. Sprinkle the olives, cheese, and
pine nuts and serve.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce