Spaghetti With Wilted Greens And Walnut-Parsley Pesto

For meatless Monday, I am making something I saw on Pinterest, and since my Husband won't be home for dinner, something extra 'healthy' that he most likely wouldn't like.  He doesn't need to eat light; he is one of those annoying people who can eat anything, never exercise and stay thin.  (Ugh I know!)  Now I put healthy in quotes because while the original recipe was from health.com and fairly light, I did add some fat and salt. (blush)  I did this partly because I didn't thoroughly read the recipe and partly because I knew it would need it.  How did I diverge from the recipe? I did the following:

3 tbsp oil in pesto
1/3 cup pasta water saved and used
More salt
Cooked eggs like I normally do in butter

Now while that does add some fat and calories, it is just a bit and the end dish was actually really good!  It was super easy to make and even the kids liked it.  My son added sriacha to his so I did too and it just got tastier.  By the time I finished my bowl, I was really digging it!

Spaghetti With Wilted Greens And Walnut-Parsley Pesto

1 (1-pound) box whole-wheat spaghetti
1 Bunch Swiss chard chopped
1 Cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 Cup packed fresh baby spinach
1/4 Cup walnuts toasted
1 small clove garlic peeled and chopped
2 Tbl plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 Tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 Tsp Kosher salt divided
1/2 Tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
6 large eggs
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta
according to package directions; reserve 1/4 cup of pasta cooking water.
Add chard after 5 minutes of cooking and drain; return pasta and greens
to pot.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine parsley, spinach, walnuts, garlic, 2
tablespoons oil, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/4 teaspoon each
salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse until chunky.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil
over medium-high heat. Working in batches, crack eggs into skillet. Cook
until the whites are completely firm but the yolks are still soft (about
two minutes). Season eggs with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
4. Toss reserved pasta mixture with pesto and enough reserved cooking
water to make a thin sauce. Divide pasta among 6 shallow bowls and top
each with a fried egg.



Comments

  1. That looks fantastic, adding a fried egg to anything makes it automatically better! Well in my book :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    I'm Ana from Fooduel.com.
    It is a new site in which users vote recipes from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog.

    It's easy, fast and fun. You can add all your recipes in 1 click.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo for user of the world look your recipes.

    You are able to see your stats:

    -Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
    -Number of votes received every day.
    -Number of votes received by each category.
    -Number of votes for each grade (1-10).
    -Number of votes for each recipe.

    Look this example of one profile stats: http://fooduel.com/stats1.png.

    About Fooduel.com
    http://fooduel.com/about.php

    We would love that you participate with some recipes.

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce