Berry Syrup

I have been away from the blog for what feels like forever, but I promise there were good reasons.  First of all, the refrigerator, yes the fairly new one, has been having some issues which resulted with us not using it for a long time.  (parts on back order ugh!)  Then we went away for a week for a family reunion.  So, I am now trying to get back in to my blogging groove.  Since we still aren't doing much cooking, fridge fixed Wednesday, I thought I would keep it simple, so with our further ado, the post;).

I have a new toy, a soda siphon.  We waste so much club soda between making myself less sweet syrupy sodas & cocktails, I thought it would be worth the investment. While I am digging the extra fuzzy club soda, and we are using the heck out of it, the jury is still out on if it is more economical. I thought one way I can justify the purchase is to make "sodas" for the kids too. I found this recipe for  making syrup from a variety of berries and thought it would make the kids a sweet drink and give them a little bit of fruit too.  I make my first batch with blueberries.  The biggest issue we had with this syrup was the chunks.  Next time, I will need to do something about the texture.  It may be that blueberries will never make a smooth enough texture for soda, but they made a fine ice cream topping:)!



Berry Syrup

1 Cup fresh or frozen berries (any kind strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
1/4 Cup tap water
1 Cup sugar

Original recipe & directions here

What I did different, was that after cooking, I pureed it so make it better for drinks, and while I think this syrup would be great on pancakes, ice cream, etc...  for the "sodas" I found that just plain fruit (thawed if frozen), in a blender with just a splash or two of water or juice (and a little bit of agave syrup if you want it really sweet) worked better.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce