Steak with Blue Cheese Butter

My son requested steak tonight, so I obliged him. To make it a "new" recipe, I looked for a compound butter to top it with. I found this blue cheese butter from Bobby Flay. It was nice. I loved that it gave you the flavor of blue cheese but it wasn't overwhelmingly blue. Since the recipe this week is so quick, I thought I would share my steak cooking technique. I achieve consistent results and as my husband once said, his manhood felt a little threatened that I was better at steak cooking than him. (lol)  It is surprisingly simple to do.  It isn't anything secret, it is just a collection of things I have read concerning steak cookery.  We like our steak medium rare, and that takes 4 minutes a side for this size steak.  I would lose a minute a side for rare and add a minute for medium.  Ideally, a thicker steak would get more caramelizing on the out side, but I haven't found any already cut that thick at Publix, but that would require me to trial and error find out just how much longer the thicker steaks take too:)


So how I cook steaks.  I start with NY Strip Steaks about an inch thick.

exactly 1" this time

Put on a wire rack over a sheetpan and sprinkle both sides liberally with kosher salt



Preheat oven to 500° for at least a half an hour leave the steak out of the refrigerator for 45 minutes to an hour 
Turn the broiler to high  (prop open the door slightly to keep broiler on. I use a wooden utensil because they don't get too hot. You could make a prop out of foil too)

Broil on high four minutes each side (flipping only once)
After the first 4 minute, what each side looks like
after the second 4 minutes
Then let rest at least 10 minutes on a cutting board before slicing against the grain



Blue Cheese Butter

1 stick unsalted butter, slightly softened
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
 

Combine the butter, cheese, and thyme in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce