Roasted Delicata Squash With Quinoa Salad

I was so very excited to have delicata squash in my Front Porch Pickings Basket.  I love squash but have never had delicata before.  (refer to my many previous posts advocating being in a csa or finding a purveyor of local/organic produce)  I knew going in however, that this dish was about as far out of the zone of types of food I like as you can get and I was worried a bit.  I say all the time I do not like sweet and savory together. (I do not like them Sam I am)  I am constantly being pointed out to, by my husband, that, that isn't true, I have found plenty of dishes I like that have both. (like the lamb and date tagine) However, that doesn't stop me from having a prejudice and an inherent dislike of them mixed.  I did object to the flavor and texture to the apples, and I thought the over all dish was too sweet for me, personally.  (the delicata was very sweet and delicious all by it's self)  That being the said, I like the dish way more than I thought I would.  I knew it would be healthy and filling and tasty (for those who don't share my issues) but  even I really enjoyed it!  My husband adored it.  My son, who is really in to meat, even really liked it.  Only thing I would recommend changed is how you serve it.  It looks lovely with the salad filling the squash, but it is hard to eat.  We ended up scooping out the squash and mixing it with the salad.  I suppose if you were having a long leisurely meal, you could carefully scoop a bite of squash and salad, but this was a busy weeknight meal and we just couldn't take that kind of time.


Roasted Delicata Squash With Quinoa Salad

2 Delicata squash (about 1 pound each) halved lengthwise and seeded
2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Cup quinoa
2 Tbl golden raisins
1 Tbl sherry vinegar
1 Tsp honey
1 Granny Smith apple finely diced
1 large shallot minced
1 garlic clove minced
2 Tbl chopped mint
2 Tbl chopped parsley
2 ounces arugula (2 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Brush the cut sides of the squash with 1
teaspoon of the olive oil and season the cavities with salt and pepper.
Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45
minutes, until tender.  ~
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 2 cups of lightly salted water to a
boil. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the
raisins and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 5
minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and let cool.  ~
3. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and honey with the remaining 1
tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
 Add the dressing to the quinoa along with the apple, shallot, garlic,
mint and parsley and toss well. Add the arugula and toss gently.  ~
4. Set the squash halves on plates. Fill with the salad and serve.  ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce