The Hoisin Heisenberger With Marie's Purple Slaw

I am afraid of what you will think of me when I say what I am about to say.  Please don't judge me too harshly, but I have never seen Breaking Bad.  Still with me?  Ok, my husband is watching it on Netflix, and I think I would like the show, but I really hate mob movies and all the killing and violence in them and I have lumped (I am told unfairly) Breaking Bad in to this genre.  As such, I have as much desire to watch it as I do to eat sweet and savory together.  (regular readers inside joke;)  But any reason for a party and themed food works for me, so when I saw that The Savory was suggesting this Breaking Bad Burger, I was so in.  (like I need a reason for burgers in this house)  it wasn't too hard to prep, but when I was cooking the burgers they broke and it was bad! (I know groan!). But it's true. The burgers didn't stay together well. I managed to keep one intact for the picture, but a few of them had a ring crumble off and I had to pick them off the grill with the tongs and have lots if small pieces and one large one on the buns. Luckily it was all worth it!  They were darn good. Next time, I would like a bit more sriracha in the mayo, and I think I would reduce or eliminate the sesame oil in the meat for ease of cooking. I think there was lots of great sesame oil taste in the slaw so I don't think I would miss it in the meat. I think the patties would hold together better sans oil.




Breaking Bad Burger Recipe: The Hoisin Heisenberger With Marie's Purple Slaw
Burgers
1 Lb ground beef
1/2 green onion minced
2 Clove garlic minced
2 Tsp cilantro minced
2 Tbl ginger minced
1 Tbl hoisin sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
1 Tbl soy sauce
black pepper to taste

Marie’s Purple Slaw
2 Cup shredded purple cabbage
2 green onions or scallions diced
2 Tbl rice wine vinegar
1 Tbl veg oil
1 Tbl sesame oil

Spicy Hoisin Mayonnaise
1//4 Cup hoisin sauce
1/2 Cup mayonnaise
2 Tbl lime or lemon juice
3 Tsp Asian chili garlic sauce or Sriracha

Burgers
Combine all ingredients, being careful not to overmix.  Shape into
patties and grill to desired done-ness.
Top with Maries Purple Slaw:
In medium bowl, toss together all of the above. Make this ahead of time
if desired and store covered in the fridge.
Spicy Hoisin Mayonnaise:
Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl and set
Basic Assembly: toast buns (we think a brioche roll or a sweeter roll
works well) in broiler or on the grill until lightly browned. Place
cooked burger on one side of bun. Slather a spread of the spicy hoisin
mayo on top of burger. Layer the purple slaw on top. Finally, spread a
thin layer of the mayo on the other half of the bun and top burger.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce