Baked Eggs With Chorizo And Potatoes

If you read my brief post on the tagine, you would know I had sausage issues with it.  I bought this raw chorizo they had at the store even thought I was sure the tagine called for cooked sausage.  I was quite annoyed with the tagine and my store.  Fast forward to today, and I am looking to make something with the superfluous chorizo I have.  I see this recipe in the to try file and I think it fits the bill nicely.  It was easy to cook and other than the potatoes taking like three times as long to brown up, the recipe was accurate and fast.  Let me tell you, once we tasted this, all was forgiven with the tagine.  I love that I made it because it caused this dinner to happen.  Oh myyyy!  If I were going to make any tweaks, I would have liked a tad more potatoes to meat in the hash.  It wasn't bad, but I tend to like less meat than most.  As it was, I was making it with only a pound of chorizo, and I used 1 pound 12 ounces potatoes which was a slightly higher ratio, but that is totally a personal thing and you can do as you will.   I also cooked the eggs a bit less than the time called for.  Most were perfect, one or two were a tad over done for my liking.  If you wanted to have this for breakfast, unless it is a weekend and you have time, I suggest you make the hash ahead of time and just reheat it before popping in the oven.  The note only suggests the boiling happening ahead of time.  While that may be slightly preferable, the browning of the potatoes was what took so much time for me, and I wouldn't want to do that on a weekday morning.




Baked Eggs With Chorizo And Potatoes

2 Lb medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1 1/2 Lb fresh chorizo casings removed (see Note)
1 large onion finely chopped
2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 large eggs
Toast and hot sauce for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and
cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook over moderate heat until
tender, about 25 minutes; drain and let cool. Peel the potatoes and cut
them into 3/4-inch pieces.
2. Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Add the chorizo, break
t into chunks with a wooden spoon and cook over moderate heat, turning,
until cooked through and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the onion
and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape the chorizo
mixture into a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
3. Heat the oil in the skillet. Add the potatoes, season with salt and
pepper and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until golden
and crispy, about 6 minutes. Stir in the chorizo mixture. Remove the
skillet from the heat.
4. Using a ladle, make 8 indentations in the potato-chorizo mixture
about 1 inch apart; crack an egg into each one. Bake the skillet in the
middle of the oven for about 12 minutes, or until the egg whites are
just set but the yolks are still runny. Serve at once with toast and hot
sauce.

Make Ahead The potatoes can be boiled a day ahead and refrigerated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce