Date Steak

I got this recipe from a Nigella Lawson interview in NPR. It wasn't the one I heard her taking about when I set out to find the recipe, but I added it to the to try file anyways. So, when my boy asked for steak for dinner, I picked this one.  I liked the sauce more than expected to but it was a bit like A-1 and I'm not a fan of that type of sauce in my steak.  I would eat this sauce over the bottled processed kind, but I prefer a good compound butter over a BBQ type sauce.  I cooked the steaks the way I always do, under the broiler, but I did add the garlic oil she recommended.  I made that by smashing a clove of garlic and putting it in, oh lets say... 1/4 cup of olive oil and set it on the top of the stove where some of the heat from the oven would gently warm it while I prepped the sauce.



Date Steak
 
2 Tbl dark brown sugar
2 Tbl red wine vinegar
1 Tbl Dijon mustard
1 Tbl soy sauce
1 Tbl red currant jelly
2 Tsp chopped fresh gingerroot
1 Tbl tomato paste
1 Tbl garlic flavored oil
2 boneless strip steaks
Put the sugar, vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, red currant jelly, ginger
and tomato paste into a small saucepan and whisk together over a gentle
heat.

Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer for about 5
minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly; now take it off the heat
and leave to one side while you cook the steaks.

Either fry or grill the steaks: If you are frying, heat the garlic-
flavored oil in a heavy-based skillet or frying pan first; if you are
grilling, paint the meat with the oil before placing it on a very hot
grill pan.

Cook the steaks for about 3 minutes a side, for warmed through but still
rare meat  how long you need to cook them depends on the thickness of
the meat and, of course, how you like your steaks.

Take the steaks off the heat and double-wrap in aluminum foil; let them
rest for about 5 minutes out of a draft.

Open the foil and put any juices that have collected there into the
saucepan of barbecue sauce, whisking to mix.
Put the steaks on two warmed plates and pour or drizzle the sauce over
them, to taste.
Note: If you can only buy 1-pound steaks, then cook the steak for a
couple of minutes extra per side, or until done to your liking. You may
prefer to share one steak between two people, thinly sliced and
slathered in the sauce.

Comments

  1. Great job cooking the steak! That looks like perfect doneness to me :) Sounds like a great recipe as well

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce