Spicy Onion & Garlic Soup with Poached Eggs

So I am still cleaning out my food stores. I was looking through all the recipes I have in my to try file and this recipe sounded yummy and I had everything I needed for it.  It was outstanding!  I loved it.  It was fairly easy too.  I didn't bother with the croutons, instead, I just added all the garlic to the soup and then gave everybody hunks of baguette.  Easier, less oil and still really delicious!  This is going to be a favorite of mine!  It was pretty spicy with the 1/4 tsp of cayenne, next time, I will most likely reduce this amount a bit and let the everyone spice up the soup to the heat level they prefer.  The person who really couldn't take it was the 3 year old.  Really amazing.  I am full but I want more now!


Spicy Onion-Garlic Soup With Poached Eggs

3 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves minced
1 medium sweet onion cut into 1/8-inch dice
1/2 Tsp sweet paprika
6 Cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
Salt
4 ounces sourdough bread crusts removed and cut into 3/4-inch cub
4 large eggs
2 Tbl chopped parsley

1. Preheat the oven to 350. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of
the olive oil. Add two-thirds of the minced garlic and cook over high
heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce the heat to moderate and
cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the onion and
paprika and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 5
minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the soup until reduced to 2 1/2
cups, about 30 minutes. Add the cayenne pepper and season with salt.
2. Meanwhile, spread the bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet and
toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and minced garlic.
Season the cubes with salt and bake for about 12 minutes, or until
golden brown and crisp.
3. Crack the eggs into 4 small bowls. Bring the soup to a simmer over
moderately low heat. Slide the eggs into the soup and simmer until the
whites are firm and the yolks are runny, about 4 minutes.
4. Ladle a poached egg and some soup into soup bowls and sprinkle with
the chopped parsley. Serve the soup immediately, passing the croutons on
the side.
Make Ahead The soup can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated
overnight.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce