Vietnamese Flavored Chicken Salad Sandwiches

I know first the papusa recipe is really vague and I'm doing it again here.  It's a shame I didn't write down exact amounts because we all liked it.  (I really liked it and I think my husband did too)  It was a quick and easy way to turn our thanksgiving chicken (yes I said chicken because my mom doesn't dig turkey:) in to a very tasty and different dinner.  I would work with turkey too.  It is basically the child of a chicken salad sandwich and a bahn mi.  I made a chicken salad with some Asian flavors, used the pickling recipe from another sandwich I wanted to try, and the rest of the toppings one finds on a bahn mi.  I am going to have to make this again and measure and write down the recipe.  Its a great "second time around" meal that uses up leftovers.



Vietnamese Flavored Chicken Salad Sandwiches


Leftover cooked chicken
mayonnaise
1 shallot, small
soy sauce
sesame oil
2 carrots halved crosswise and thinly sliced lengthwise
1/2 Cup pickled cocktail onions halved, plus 1/4 cup of the pickling liquid
One 10-ounce baguette split lengthwise and toasted
Sriracha or other hot sauce
1 cucumber very thinly sliced
Cilantro sprigs

In a bowl, mix the carrots with the pickled onions and their liquid and let stand for 1 hour.
Roughly chop the chicken and put in a bowl.
Mix mayo (I'm guessing 3/4 a cup, but you know how you like your chicken salad, I like as little mayo as possible just enough to bind it together) with minced shallot, soy sauce (I am guessing 1-2 tsp here.  Just enough to tint it the lightest brown), and a dash of sesame oil.  Add just enough of the mayo to the chicken, mix well and taste.  Add more of any of the ingredients to taste. (I added some sriracha too:)
Spread a bit of the leftover mayo mixture on the toasted baguette, top with chicken, pickled veggies, cucumber and cilantro and sriracha to taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce