Spaghetti Squash, Onion, and Potato Frittata

I love having breakfast for dinner because eggs are such a quick and easy dinner fix.  Not only are frittatas fast, but they are adaptable to so many ingredients.  I particularly like this one with the spaghetti squash.  I love the earthy sweet flavor.  A frittata is also an easy way to get some veggies in kids that they may otherwise turn their nose up at.  I know a big bowl of the squash with some seasoned butter would make my day, the boy not so much, but this dish he doesn't complain at all. I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light.  Of course in the adaptation I made it a little less light, but not horribly so.  and because I hate waste (and only for that reason lol) I am going to make a coconut cream pie with the 4 egg yolks I had left over after I made the frittata;).

Spaghetti Squash, Onion, and Potato Frittata

1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (2 tsps dried )*
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 large egg whites
3 large eggs
2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Cooking spray
2 cups of Potato, shredded
1 cup onion diced
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese

Mix the first 6 ingredients in a bowl then stir in the squash. Put the shredded potato in a paper towel or clean dish towel and squeeze until almost all the liquid is gone. Heat an 11" nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray and add butter. When the butter is melted, spread the potatoes over the bottom of the skillet and let cook 2 minutes. Add the onion and stir and cook stirring occasionally until the onions are soft. (about 4 minutes) Add the egg mixture to skillet and give it a quick stir. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes or until the center is almost set. Uncover, and sprinkle with cheese. Preheat broiler. Wrap handle of skillet with foil, and broil frittata for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts . I then I
I like to sprinkle a little paprika on top just for visual appeal
*I used mostly chive and a little basil

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce