Cranberry Granita

So, I am not cooking this Thanksgiving!  I am both happy and sad about that.  We are going to friends house, but I have to bring something. (despite their protests;)  I am taking them their favorite salted caramel pretzel bark, but I also want to try out something new and holiday.  As I am thinking of it, there appears on my tv, Alton Brown doing a cranberry show!  I am also getting cranberries in my Front Porch Pickings basket!  Not being one to ignore fate, I decide to make some recipes on the show.  I choose this granita for two reasons.  The light, fresh and tart ice sounds like a great treat on a day full of heavy foods.  The other it that it can be made in to a cocktail!  That is a win-win for me.  I am bringing a desert and a drink with one recipe.  I made this early to taste it and make sure that I was bringing a guest worthy treat and cocktail.  It was.  I loved the granita.  It was a Thanksgiving trifecta, easy, tasty and light.  The cocktail was the big hit.  I don't know if it was just the fact it was a tasty cocktail or if it was eaten before the dozens dishes were set out and we all gorged our selves just trying to sample them all, much less seconds on our favorites.  I think I will make more of this for the big game on Saturday. (as a second dish to my Miami Burger Sliders)  We are tailgating in the cul de sac.  If it is consumed as granita or cocktail will to be decided;).




Cranberry Granita
2 cups water
5 1/2 ounces cranberries, approximately 1 1/2 cups, washed and sorted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon lime zest

Place the water, cranberries and sugar into a small saucepan, set over medium-high heat and simmer until the berries begin to pop, approximately 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Puree with a stick blender, blender or food processor, for 1 minute. Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer directly into a metal 13 by 9-inch pan. Do not press on the skins. Simply allow the juice to drip through the strainer. Add the zest and stir to combine. Place in the freezer until set, at least 6 hours and up to overnight. Once frozen, scrape the mixture with a fork to create a shaved ice texture. Serve immediately.







Fresh Cranberry Cosmo
1    -ounce vodka
2 1/2    ounces Cranberry Granita recipe follows
1    /2-ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
Place all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake until
the granita melts completely. Pour into a martini glass and serve
immediately.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce