Chorizo Tacos

Well tonight was I guess you could call a "pantry raid".  I had chorizo leftover after the clam recipe and tortillas from the fish tacos.  I decided to wing it and try to re-create something we had at Maria Bonita's.  So, as I am preparing to cook this without any plan, my husband calls and asks about dinner.  Regardless of his intention (honey, that means you are not the bad guy, I'm just neurotic ;*), his comments made me feel the need to now look up a recipe.  (Despite the fact I wasn't going to the store before I cooked, and knew full well that I wouldn't have all the ingredients to any recipe I found, I was still going to look a recipe up.) While I knew wouldn't be able to make any recipe I found, I thought I might at least find some "hypotheses" for the experiment I was about to embark on. Well of course, I found an amazing sounding recipe from Rick Bayless for chorizo tacos.  I had most of the things needed, but the main thing I was missing, that I also found in the several recipes I looked at, was potato.  I can see that.  Chorizo is pretty heavy and it would be good to cut that a bit with something like a potato.  One snafu, no potatoes in the house. Well I knew I was flying by the seat of my pants anyways but thought I might be able to take that info to heart and have a more successful dinner.  I looked in the pantry, toyed with the idea of grits, rice and couscous, then opened the freezer.  There, staring at me, was a half used bag of frozen french fries that I had for after school snacks.  (picture here a.... lets call it a 40 watt bulb flickering above my head).  I wasn't sure it was a good idea, but figured what the heck and decided to cook them while I was preparing everything else.  I also found a half used green pepper (from the steak salad I think) so I sauteed that quickly to keep it crisp but not raw for the tacos.  (Tacos that are now becoming fajita-like my husband pointed out)  I had two different onion halves in the fridge too.  OK one raw and one sauteed.   (don't mention the fajita thing again OK;) We sat down and build our tacos (including the french fries). Well, at the end of the day, they weren't too bad. (for an experiment particularly)  Next time I will make the Rick Bayless recipe, if my half-a$$ed hodgepodge tasted this good, imagine what someone who really knows what they are doing and come up with.

Wing & a Prayer Chorizo Tacos
3     links of raw Mexican Chorizo
1/2  white onion sliced in to half moons
1/2  sweet yellow onion diced
1/2  green pepper sliced in to thin strips
1/2  bag of thin frozen french fries, cooked
cilantro
hot sauce
tortillas

Saute the green peppers over medium heat in a little butter until crisp but tender, remove peppers and set aside.
In the same skillet saute the chorizo until browned and cooked through.  Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Saute the white onion in the chorizo drippings until very soft and they have released most of their liquid.
Put all the above items on the table along with fresh cilantro sprigs, cooked french fries, hot sauce and the tortillas and let everyone assemble their tacos.  (I added diced tomatoes to mine, the boys had cheddar cheese, but they weren't strictly necessary.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce