Spicy Tonnarelli with Clams

I got this recipe from Food and Wine Magazine.  I love Food & Wine.  While not every recipe is a family favorite, none have really disappointed.  This is a almost there recipe for us.  We all liked it but to tailor it to our tastes we have some suggestions and some tips if you are thinking of changing it yourself.  First of all it is spicy.  Ok for our tastes, but be forewarned that the heat does build as you are eating it.  The herbs are critical!  I am not a big fan of mint (in sweet but especially in savory), but it is very refreshing in this and a needed cooling element.  The black pepper, didn't taste it at all so next time I would leave it out.  The coppa, it wasn't well represented in every bite and sank to the bottom of the cooking pan; this made it difficult to portion it in to the dishes easily.  Everyone (but myself) added a pat of butter to their portion with great results.  (I abstained solely for the calories.)  It isn't in the recipe but you MUST soak your clams. (TIP: always soak and scrub your clams) We went with a quick 30 minute soaking with cornmeal, but it was not enough for all of them.  I saw suggestions from anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours.  I would opt for an hour next time. The only salt added to this dish comes from the pasta water.  I have always salted my pasta water but until recently, I had no idea how much to add to the water.  (TIP: In my large pasta pot I add about a HALF of a shaker to the water.) I started doing this because of a Scott Conant recipe I tried, and he  said the water should be as salty as broth.  THANK YOU Scott!!!  Not just for the information but some of my family's favorite recipes.

Spicy Tonnarelli with Clams

Pairing Suggestion
Crisp Verdicchio.

  1. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  2. 1 ounce hot coppa or soppressata, cut into 1/4-inch dice ( 1/4 cup)
  3. 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  4. 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  5. 6 tablespoons dry white wine
  6. 32 Manila or littleneck clams, scrubbed
  7. 3/4 pound tonnarelli or linguine
  8. Freshly ground black pepper
  9. 2 tablespoons each of thinly sliced mint and basil
  1. In a deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the coppa, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately low heat until the garlic is golden, 1 1/2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Add the clams, cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes; as the clams open, transfer them to a covered bowl.
  2. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until almost al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the skillet. Stir in the cooking water over low heat, tossing until the pasta is al dente, 1 minute. Season with black pepper. Add the clams to the pasta, garnish with the herbs and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce