Summer Squash Pizza With Goat Cheese And Walnuts

Tonight's dinner is another first time we made it.  I did a lot of eyeballing the amounts of toppings rather than measure what I did.  I also doubled everything because the fresh dough I got from the grocery came in a 16 ounce portion. (Yes I know that 16 is not 6 doubled but there are three kinds of people in the world, those who are good a math and those who aren't, and in the immortal words of Gerald Ford as portrayed by Chevy Chase, "It was my understanding that there would be no math.")  As it wasn't the dough I was messing with, I figured all would be well, and all was delicious.   My only complaint was that I didn't roll the dough out thin enough.  I think a really thin crust pizza would be preferable. I can't remember where the recipe came from.  I have all my recipes on the computer with a program called accuchef.  It is great.  I have a cookbook i use for all the recipes I want to try as I see them.  There they wait until it comes time to plan the weekly dinners (which I have a cookbook folder for too) and just copy and paste the ones I want that weekly meals folder.  I think (if you forced me to guess) that it was food and wine from Kevin Gillespie of Top Chef but I could be totally wrong so forgive me.


Summer Squash Pizza With Goat Cheese And Walnuts

     1 T  extra-virgin olive oil,plus
           -more for drizzling
      1    garlic clove,minced
           All-purpose flour,for
           -dusting
      6    ounces pizza dough
           Pinch of crushed red pepper
           Salt and freshly ground
           -black pepper
    1/2    small onion,thinly sliced
    1/4 c  shredded part-skim-milk
           -mozzarella
      1 t  chopped summer savory
    1/4 lb summer squash,thinly sliced
           -on a mandoline
      2    ounces fresh goat cheese
           -crumbled
      2 T  chopped toasted walnuts
[Note: Zucchini and yellow squash can both be mild in flavor, but
nothing about this tangy, herby pizza is bland. The summer squash is
sliced into   slender coins, then roasted in a hot oven until it's
lightly caramelized, bringing out its sweetness.   Our Pairing
Suggestion Goat cheese and  summer squash go well with Sauvignon
Blanc's herbal citrus character  ]
1.Preheat the oven to 500. Preheat a pizza stone. In a small bowl,
combine the 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the minced garlic and let
stand. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to form a
12-inch round, 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the round to a lightly floured
pizza peel.
2.Leaving a 1/2-inch border of dough, brush the round with the garlic
oil and sprinkle with crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper.
Scatter the onion slices over the round; top with the mozzarella and
savory. Arrange the squash slices on top in a single layer, overlapping
them slightly. Dot with the crumbled goat cheese.
3.Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake for about 5 minutes,
until the bottom is crisp and the squash is slightly browned. Transfer
the pizza to a work surface. Sprinkle with the walnuts and drizzle with
olive oil. Cut into wedges and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce